Achievement Unlocked: Balance 0

• Gary Varga (11/20/2014)

Ed Wagner (11/20/2014)

...I figure my daughter will only be 12 once in her life. After that, it's gone forever. You can call me mushy, but I choose to spend time with her and enjoy it. Fatherhood is important.

Too true. I have had a general rule of no weekend work but I am prepared to do long days. This was based on that some places where I worked the commute was long enough that it was touch and go whether I saw the kids each day but I always had the weekends. If I had to work extra and missed 15-30 minutes with them during the week then I more than made up for it by being at home all weekend.

I also found that, for me, this was a more sustainable way of working more hours. Also people are often surprised when you can add around 8 hours a day by doing something like turning up at 6am and leaving at 11pm, bringing in lunch and dinner to eat at the desk. I do not recommend working like this but I have found it handy in the past for a short term. Any longer and productivity plummets.

And I'll stick to calling you Ed, if that's OK with you.

That's fine with me. It's good to know someone else puts family in it's proper place.

• Working 10 or 12 hour shifts (in exchange for a shorter work week) is OK when I'm on a sprint. A sprint is when everyone involved has clear understanding of the requirements, the goal is narrowly defined and achievable within days or maybe a couple weeks at most, everyone else involved is committed and contributing to the sprint (coworkers, management, family), and there is an understandaing that once the sprint is completed (ex: the deliverable has been handed over the business), I won't be going directly into yet another sprint. Also, just like a marathon sprinter, I expect folks at the finish line to acknowledge the accomplishment.

However, I wouldn't slog through 12 hour work days needlessly just because it's considered business as usual for the organization.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• That's always been a problem with me. I have accrued quite a bit of annual vacation time over the years and a certain majority of it must be taken by Oct 1 (plus a few additional personal days by Dec 31.)

It seems every year I'm running up with the problem of being in mid summer and I still have too many days to take. So I find myself planning home projects to keep from 'wasting' the days.

[the managers here seem to feel that 'giving back vacation days to the company' is not a good precedent, so I find myself chased out for a few days]

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• GilaMonster (11/20/2014)

I've been sitting with negative leave days available since July (about -0.5 at this point). No one in management is complaining, no pointed hints that I need to work more. Oh, and I'm about to put in leave requests for another 3 days off.

One thing I learned years ago, there will always be more work than there is time to do it in. Not taking time off because 'Project X needs to be finished' is foolish, after Project X is finished, there will be Y, Z, A, B, .....

100% agree. This is the first year I'm going to have to carry over 5 days due to a project. I'm going to make sure I get everything used up before the end of 2015.

I have to say if France tends to lean more to life over work, then sign me up. Because we only get one life. And when we are gone, someone else will be there to pick up where we left off.

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• I would say 'Work is part of my life but not my life'

• below86 (11/20/2014)

I have to say if France tends to lean more to life over work, then sign me up. Because we only get one life. And when we are gone, someone else will be there to pick up where we left off.

I don't know. In dealing with the French, when they hit vacation time, everything shuts down.

• Some time ago I read a study of cultural differences in work culture. They used union contracts a basis, because they provided a clear documentation of the priorities of the different groups.

One of the interesting things is that historically, over many decades, American unions consistently placed higher priority on pay and benefits, while Europeans tended to negotiate for more time off.

• Iwas Bornready (11/20/2014)

<snip>I just have to force myself to not think about work. .

That was the part I found the hardest, always used to take the work phone on holiday with me "in case". It only took two phone calls (and an equal number of ear bashings from my wife) to break me of the habit.

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Work to live, you don't live to work

Well said!

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Gary Varga (11/20/2014)

Freelancers often are concerned that every day off is a day unpaid when you could be sitting at home without work at any time.

I see this a lot, and I've experienced it. For freelancers, I think it's even more important to plan time off and budget it out.

• Ed Wagner (11/20/2014)

I figure my daughter will only be 12 once in her life. After that, it's gone forever. You can call me mushy, but I choose to spend time with her and enjoy it. Fatherhood is important.

Very true, as is marriage (for me). Some vacation with family, some days with just my wife, some days with just the kids.

• jay-h (11/20/2014)

It seems every year I'm running up with the problem of being in mid summer and I still have too many days to take. So I find myself planning home projects to keep from 'wasting' the days.

I've done this often. This year, I've avoided that and am trying to take the days and do something else. We'll see how that goes.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (11/20/2014)

Gary Varga (11/20/2014)

Freelancers often are concerned that every day off is a day unpaid when you could be sitting at home without work at any time.

I see this a lot, and I've experienced it. For freelancers, I think it's even more important to plan time off and budget it out.

I agree. It may be more important for freelancers, but I think it can also be soo much more difficult to budget that time.

Learn Extended Events

• A friend last year was asked why he worked seven days a week and for 10-12 hours a day. A couple of us told him he needed to slow down and get some rest. He said there is plenty of time to rest when you die. He started that rest a week or so back. Dead at 54 of cancer. He was way too young, and it was far too early, it is hard to even think about.

No one should die before their time. Take all the time off you can and live well! Smile, laugh, and hug your spouse and children work can wait a few days.

Who is more important, your boss who only wants you to keep working, or your family who really love you. You are their hero! Be with them as much as you can.

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Years ago I worked at a place that did not value vacation of the employees. I found myself working every day of family vacations because everything was a fire. The vacation time was still charged to my balance.

Shortly after that I decided to leave and had some vacation balance left. I was frustrated to find out that they would not pay out any vacation balance and that I could not use the remainder of my vacation because I had already given notice.

After that, I learned to use my vacation more. It helps with work/life balance. It came at a price and a tough lesson learned, but in the end it is better. Take the time as you need it. Get recharged and don't leave your benefit (vacation time) to chance with the powers that be. The vacation is a sunk cost for employers. If they don't pay it out, then they are trying to game the system at your expense. Your benefit - use it.

Learn Extended Events

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply