100 Years Ago, What Would You Be?

• I wouldn't "be" a 100 years ago... I would have died 148 years ago from blood poisoning or 146 years ago from a really nasty case of double Pneumonia.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Like about 40% of women in those days, I would be dead, from childbirth or subsequent complications! Hooray for modern medicine! And even if I wasn't, it would have been unlikely for a woman to have that kind of choice!

But all that aside, my choice would be carpentry.

• That's easy, I would be dead. I was born with a heart problem, and even 10-20 years earlier, I probably wouldn't have made it out of infancy.

But assuming I survived to adulthood, I would have loved to have been involved in the scientific revolutions going on in England in the mid 1800's. Or even better, to be a US senator to make sure the frickin' two-party system never gets enshrined! 😉

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Law enforcement.

John Rowan

======================================================
    ======================================================
    Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url] - by Jeff Moden

• That is a tough question. I think I would have been a farmer. I would like to think I would have been a doctor or some sort of entrepreneur.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I haven't seen anyone suggest 'walking the streets hoping for work because of the recession' - there was a good prgram on BBC recently on work in York 100 years ago - it seems lots were looking for work and usually not finding it so were living on about one third of daily calory requirement - thank goodness for welfare support.

Mostly we wouldn't have the choice so I would have been a farmer in a small village cos that's what all my family did. I've stepped down, really, from managing my own business to employee (serf?)

I'm getting the age where living in a village feels better than in the big city - but I couldn't do farming.

Andy

London

--------------------------------------------------------------

“Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.” Voltaire

• I would probably be either an accountant or a teacher. But then again - maybe a basketball player. At 6'2" - I would be a giant back in them days. 😛

Joe

• When I was grade school, back in the 70s before personal computers were common in homes or even offices, I used to love reading those Choose Your Own Adventure books, where the story branches off to different pages depending on the choices you make while reading the novel. I even wrote them myself inside notepads (the paper kind). I used to draw so much that my dad griped about how much we were spending on paper. Then one day he came home from work with a huge stack of reamed paper that he found in a dumpster and, as it just so happened, printed on one side was Fortran source code. I immediately understood what it was all about, and I recall tracing it with my finger for hours at a time, thinking how cool it would be create my own game using a computer.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• From a hundred years ago almost continuously up till now, there are plenty of preachers and teachers on both sides of my family, so most likely one of those.

• I'm sure I would be home cooking, cleaning and taking care of a house full of kids. If I had any time left for a job, I'd probably be baking breads and maybe some goodies.

• I am sure I wont be studying SQL and wont be a member of this forum either

• I would have been fighting for Indian Independence.

There is nothing like liberty and freedom in this world.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply