Your Cloud Held Hostage – Could It Happen?

• GoofyGuy (5/12/2015)

Possibly a fair point.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 😉

As long as it isn't digital 😛

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• The problem with Comcast et al is a lack of competition. Americans pay the most for internet and cell service and get some of the poorest service levels in the world. And now Verizon is buying AOL, though I'm not too sure that very many DBAs work over dialup. 😛

The head of the FCC recently told Comcast to stop complaining and start competing. The problem is that it takes very little effort (in time/money) to maintain the status quo, whereas upgrading and improving systems requires a lot of work. It's easier to rake in money from outrageous user fees and just sit on the collective Board's butts and a lot less risky. Look at the lengths AT&T will bend over backwards when Google offers to build-out a fiber plant in some podunk town. We've read the horror stories of people buying houses when they're assured that it can be wired, only to have the internet company tell them that it'll cost $30,000.

There's lots of things that are interesting in the 'cloud', I especially liked the concept of Azure prototyping and testing features before they go in the boxed versions. But there's just too many backhoe-induced network failures for me to ever feel 100% comfortable with it.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Google, Microsoft, and Amazon are large enough players that they could provide both the cloud database services and the internet infrastructure for high or middle tier business customers. Perhaps some type of high-speed satellite based data/isp service with a direct connection between the data center and the subscribers. Just rub Comcast, Netflix, and the FCC/NSA (?) out of the picture. I'm sure this either already exists or is in the works.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/12/2015)

I'm for neutrality in terms of not prioritizing traffic based on source. However, I don't think that this means Google or Netflix can't pay for higher connection speeds to send data quickly.

Pay for higher speeds? Sure. Pay bribe money to have what everyone else gets? That is against the law.

Dave

• Eric M Russell (5/12/2015)

Honestly, the apartment building across the street from your business could hold your database hostage every day between 5PM - midnight when folks start streaming Netflix and playing Call of Duty.

Certainly that's a part of the SLA?

😎

• Netflix started with relatively little bandwidth from their end. They can compete, or Steve's Video Service can compete, because few people use it. A 5Mbps home connection works. As the business grows, they add more bandwidth from their end. That's how things have always worked.

What Net Neutrality, as I understand it, does it prevent Comcast/Verizon/Orange/etc from deciding that Netflix traffic gets a higher priority than Steve's Video. They might have more bandwidth from their connection, just as you might have more than I, but there's no effort to massage packets (speed up or delay) them by the ISP.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/12/2015)

Netflix started with relatively little bandwidth from their end. They can compete, or Steve's Video Service can compete, because few people use it. A 5Mbps home connection works. As the business grows, they add more bandwidth from their end. That's how things have always worked.

What Net Neutrality, as I understand it, does it prevent Comcast/Verizon/Orange/etc from deciding that Netflix traffic gets a higher priority than Steve's Video. They might have more bandwidth from their connection, just as you might have more than I, but there's no effort to massage packets (speed up or delay) them by the ISP.

We know that this is practised by many of the Big providers, that is unfavourable traffic throttled down etc.. The question is how to detect this and avoid such providers.

😎

Viewing 7 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply