XACT_ABORT and TRY/CATCH block

• I am continue to read MS's official course for SQL 2005. Now they talk about structured exception-handling.

In the following example they sets XACT_ABORT ON and tests the transaction state within the CATCH block.

SET XACT_ABORT ON --<<<<important!

BEGIN TRY

BEGIN TRAN

sql_statement_block

COMMIT TRAN

END TRY

BEGIN CATCH

IF (XACT_STATE()) = -1 -- uncommittable

ROLLBACK TRAN

ELSE IF (XACT_STATE()) = 1 -- committable

COMMIT TRAN <<< if XACT_ABORT=ON can we go here??

END CATCH

I think when XACT_ABORT is ON we just CAN'T go to sting "COMMIT TRAN" in the catch block. In other words - if XACT_ABORT is ON and we hit catch block - XACT_STATE may be -1 and only -1, i.e. our transaction for certain in uncommittable(and ONLY in uncommittable!) state. If XACT_ABORT would be OFF above example would be absolutely correct - in this case transaction may be in committable as well as in uncommittable state.

Am I mistaken anywhere?

• It's a good practice always to check XACT_STATE() becuase you don't need to care it's in a commitable tran or not, or even its in a tran at all when the exception happens. The reason is your SP may be called by others and XACT_ABORT may be set there even u don't set it in your SP.

In your sample, yes, the XACT_STATE can only be -1.

• OK, thanks for detailed answer! I catch your thought concerning "best practice"... Sound sensibly, indeed! Thanks once more for this hint.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply