Write on "E:\Backup\Differential.bak" failed: 1(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105)

• Maybe someone here can help me. I get this error when trying to make a backup.

I use the following to make the backup

Backup Database DB To Disk = 'E:\Backup\Full.bak'

or

Backup Database DB To Disk = 'E:\Backup\ Differential.bak' With Differential

or

Backup Log DB To Disk = 'E:\Backup\LOG.bak'

And I get the following error “Write on "E:\Backup\Differential.bak" failed: 1(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105)”

The funny thing is it is only when trying to make a Differential or Log backup there is no problem with the Full backup (executes for 40min) and there is no problem with making a Log backup when the execution time is 2 min or less. Everything else gives this error.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• It is set to FULL. What I am trying to do is to make a full backup on Sundays and Monday - Saterday evening make a Diff backup and then have Monday - Saterday from 08:00 - 18:00 make log backups

• Yes and the Full backup will be bigger is size than the Diff or Log and that works

• The full backups fail as well so I cannot make any backups. I have 4 db's

DB1 - 811 MB

DB2 - 65 MB

DB3 - 56 GB

DB4 - 370 GB

If I execute

Backup Database DB1 To Disk = 'E:\Backup\DB1_Full.bak'

or

Backup Database DB2 To Disk = 'E:\Backup\DB2.bak'

It executes +- 1 min and there are no erros

If I execute

Backup Database DB3 To Disk = 'E:\Backup\DB3_Full.bak'

or

Backup Database DB4 To Disk = 'E:\Backup\DB4_Full.bak'

It executes and after +- 25 min I get the following error

Processed 7027496 pages for database 'Documents', file 'Documents' on file 1.

Msg 3202, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Write on "E:\Backup\AMH_Documents_Full.bak" failed: 1(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105)

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.

• The total free space on that drive is 480 GB, the DB File is 370 GB, so I can not see the backup being more than 480 GB

I just executed

Backup Database Dealernet To Disk = 'E:\Backup\AMH_Dealernet_Full.bak' With STATS = 10

And I did notice that when I start the backup a file is created on "E:\Backup\DB4_Full.bak' of size 340 GB and the free space change to 140 GB

• Try using the "With Init" clause

E.g

Backup database DBName to disk = '' with init

,stats=10

~RD

• Hi, thanks for the help so far

All the suggestions above did not help the init did not word and check DB returns no errors

What did work was, there are 2 Hard Drives on that server and the backup fails to all 3 of them. I then added an external HD and the backups work to that HD. So I think it might be user rights or somthing like that but I checked and cannnot find anything wrong. Is there a rule in SQL that says that I cannot backup to a drive that have the mdf or ldf files on. Any help or pionter will be appreciated.

• First thing u should check is the error logs..

Post wats there in that error log..

Can u please tell me what exactly u trying to achive??

Why Full-diff -full and then log backups ??

• The entries in the log for the last backup execute command is

Date,Source,Severity,Message

06/04/2010 08:35:59,Backup,Unknown,BACKUP failed to complete the command BACKUP LOG Images. Check the backup application log for detailed messages.

06/04/2010 08:35:59,Backup,Unknown,Error: 3041<c/> Severity: 16<c/> State: 1.

06/04/2010 08:35:59,Backup,Unknown,BackupIoRequest::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device 'E:\Backup\AMH_Images_LOG_20100604_070038.bak'. Operating system error 1(failed to retrieve text for this error. Reason: 15105).

06/04/2010 08:35:59,Backup,Unknown,Error: 18210<c/> Severity: 16<c/> State: 1.

We are making Full backups every Sunday evening,

then Diff backups every week day (Mon-Sat)

and then Log backups every 2 hours between 08:00 and 18:00 (Mon-Sat)

• Hi Mardus,

Thanks for the info..

Do u have issue only when u take log backup or all type of backup??

Is that will any particular database??

If yes please provide the structure of database(size,files)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply