Works in SQL Server but not in Access

• Any idea how I could make the following query work in Access?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SELECT

orders.ouser, products.cname, customers.clastname, oitems.score, test_bank.evalDate

FROM

oitems INNER JOIN orders ON oitems.orderid = orders.orderID INNER JOIN

customers ON orders.ouser = customers.username INNER JOIN

products ON oitems.catalogid = products.ccode LEFT OUTER JOIN

test_bank ON customers.username = test_bank.username AND products.ccode = test_bank.courseid

It gives me a syntax error in Access.  I tried removing the word "OUTER" and that did not help.

• Im pretty sure it's cause you haven't got any brackets () around your join criteria.

Suggest you go into Access and create a query with the query designer that has a LEFT JOIN to work out what bracketing you need.

Cheers

Steve

• It says Join Expression Not Supported when I add the part in italics.

• I investigated the bracket problems and I'm closer, but still not there yet:

This Clause works:

FROM (((oitems

INNER JOIN orders ON oitems.orderid = orders.orderID)

INNER JOIN customers ON orders.ouser = customers.username)

INNER JOIN products ON oitems.catalogid = products.ccode)

LEFT JOIN test_bank ON customers.username = test_bank.username

This Clause does NOT work:

FROM (((oitems

LEFT JOIN test_bank ON customers.username = test_bank.username AND

products.ccode = test_bank.courseid

• Have you tried a "Pass-Through" Query in Access yet?

• I'm using Access as a back-end to a website so a pass through query is out of the question.  I decided that for now I'm just going to have 2 queries instead of 1.  I'm going to migrate from Access to SQL as my backend so I'll eventually get rid of this stupid mdb.

• Here's one more idea - MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE ACCESS FILE FIRST

And then open the COPY, click Tools ~ Options ~ Tables/Queries and click the checkbox for "SQL Server compatible syntax".

Access will display a few warnings, and then close & re-open itself - at which point the SQL syntax should probably work with SQL Server.

• This Clause does NOT work: 
    FROM (((oitems 
        LEFT JOIN test_bank ON customers.username = test_bank.username
    AND products.ccode = test_bank.courseid

Here's a couple of things that you could try.  First, you're out of parenthesis.  I wonder if Access is not parsing the final left join correctly.  Since you have an AND clause, and it's the only one there, try this:

LEFT JOIN test_bank ON (customers.username = test_bank.username
    AND products.ccode = test_bank.courseid)

Also, I think I'd try to restructure it so that the left join is the first join being performed, which would require a change to the Products join.

I'm not sure why, but the second part of the Test_Bank made me think of a Where clause, but that's not really appropriate.  But looking it over again, for consistency's sake I'd reverse the arguments of the AND so that it's test_bank.courseid = products.ccode.  I wonder if that could have anything to do with it.

Good luck!

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• I think you just need to do the first part of what Wayne suggested:

LEFT JOIN test_bank ON (customers.username = test_bank.username

AND products.ccode = test_bank.courseid)

This should fix your problem. I would leave the left join where it is at the end of the joins and not reverse the test_bank & products condition.

HTH

Regards,

-TB

• I have tried the suggestions.  I tried adding the brackets as Wayne suggested.  I also tried adding the option of using SQL compatible syntax and that did not work either.

They did not work for me.  Thanks anyway.

• OK I tried an experiment and got the same error when I tried to manually write the query in SQL but when I used the Query Designer in MS Access to write the query I did not have a problem.

When I look at the SQL the Designer generated it looks like this:

FROM ((Tbl1 INNER JOIN Tbl2 ON Tbl1.Fld1 = Tbl2.Fld1) INNER JOIN [Tbl 3] ON (Tbl1.Fld1 = [Tbl 3].Fld1) AND (Tbl2.Fld1 = [Tbl 3].Fld1)) LEFT JOIN [Tbl 4] ON (Tbl1.Fld2 = [Tbl 4].Fld2) AND ([Tbl 3].Fld1 = [Tbl 4].Fld1);

Maybe this was too generic of an example but I did notice if I tried to break this up and separate the joins on their own lines I also got the same error message so MS Access may be sensitive to line breaks.

Regards,

-TB

• Have you tried moving to a Access Project file? Access then becomes a front end to SQL Server and you get rid of the Access syntax problem.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply