Working with Temp Tables

• Let me thank you guys for your responses and better clarify by issue:

-- Thanks Steve

I have a Proc that returns one of two (will be more in the future) possible different row sets. The returned columns and criteria use in the selection vary depending on input parameters. The reason for selecting them into a temp table is so I can manipulate and resort the data into special groupings not inherit in the data. Then I return the row set from my temp table with sorting on that manipulated data.

I need to use the same temp table name for each possible SELECT INTO scenario so I can use the same following manipulation process regardless of the scenario the data arrived from.

-- Thanks Atif

The "results" of using the EXECUTE statement are out of scope, the temp table within the EXEC statement doesn't exist after the execution is complete. I need the temp table to do the followup processing. I have not figured out a way to return an 'undefined' table as an OUTPUT variable of an EXEC, to the originating scope (session, batch or what ever it should be called).

-- Thanks William

Dropping an existing Table is not the issue because it doesn't exist, only the runtime "thinks" it does because it is "mentioned" in an previous unexecuted portion of the script.

-- Thanks Mike01--

Adding the precess logic to the sql string to be executed would be more difficult than duplication it after every possible possible source data.

• Another Option;

Create Table #tempA

(

AID int,

ACol1 varchar(100),

ACol2 varchar(100)

)

Create Table #tempB

(

BID int,

BCol1 varchar(100),

BCol2 varchar(100),

BCol3 varchar(100)

)

IF 1 <> 1

BEGIN

Insert into #tempA

Select ID,Code,[Name] From dbo.countries

Select * from #tempA

--And Further Logic of on #tempA

END

ELSE

BEGIN

Insert into #tempB

Select ID,Code,[Name],Region From dbo.countries

Select * from #tempB

--And Further Logic of on #tempB

END

Drop table #tempA

Drop table #tempB

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• I dont think that the Logic of both results will be same. What I mean is that the logic for Condition 1=1 would be different from the logic of 1=0 (as you are creating temp table from different sources.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sometimes, winning is not an issue but trying.
    You can check my BLOG
    [font="Arial Black"]here[/font][/url][/right]

• The reason your first method did not work is that the optimizer does not parse conditional when it generates a query plan. So it tries to generate a plan for every statement in the procedure without trying to determine if it would need to execute all of the statements. Therefore, it sees it as if you are trying to create two temp tables with the same name and returns an error.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Hmmm. After the EXEC the temp table goes out of scope.

OK, so the solution is...don't use a temp table:

IF OBJECT_ID('myTemp1') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE myTemp1

IF 1 <> 0

BEGIN

EXEC sp_executesql N'Select * INTO myTemp1 From TableA'

END

ELSE

BEGIN

EXEC sp_executesql N'Select * INTO myTemp1 From TableB'

END

SELECT * FROM myTemp1

• If you use this option, be sure to explicitly drop the table when done with it. However, this option has the problem that the option can only be used one at a time. If two instances of the procedure try to run, it won't work because the table will already exist.

The better option is to use multiple procedures. This is also better for performance.

Create Procedure dbo.ChildProc1

As

Select *

Into #myTemp1

From sys.tables

Select *

From #myTemp1

Go

Create Procedure dbo.ChildProc2

As

Select *

Into #myTemp1

From sys.procedures

Select *

From #myTemp1

Go

Create Procedure dbo.ParentProc

@InputValue bit

As

IF @InputValue = 0

BEGIN

Exec dbo.ChildProc1

End

Else

Begin

Exec dbo.ChildProc2

End

Go

Exec dbo.ParentProc 0

Go

Exec dbo.ParentProc 1

Go

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• -- parent session

IF 1 <> 0

BEGIN

-- child session 1

exec ('Select 1 as col INTO #myTemp1 ')

END

ELSE

BEGIN

-- child session 2

exec ('Select 2 as col INTO #myTemp1 ')

END

-- child session 3

exec ('select * from #myTemp1')

if you create temporary table in the parent seesion, it can be seen and avilible to child session 1 ,2 and 3. Temporary table created in child session 1 can't be seen at parent session , neither same level child session.

• Not a "good" option, but an option:

Try global ##temp tables with the entire procedure name and @@SPID placed in the table name... if you get really paranoid, an a 6+ digit randomly generated number to the name as well, just to reduce the chances of a collision more.

Note that you need to ensure that the naming convention is always the same, so you don't have some other stored procedure with the same name running.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply