Windows XP not finding Server

• I have installed SQL Server 2000 on a Windows XP desktop for someone who will be backing me up. I have been able to connect the user to our file-server successfully, but cannot figure out a way to get him to our Development server. The server name does not appear in the list and I have been looking in Enterprise Manager and in Administration/Data Sources on his computer and cannot figure out how to add this connection.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Sometimes the servername does not show up in the list...not sure why... but when you type the name of the Server manually and then add it, it does connect and add the server. Did you try typing in the servername manually and adding it?

• I tried that today in both Query Analyzer and Enterprise Manager and still get 'SQLServer does not exist or access denied'.

• Under SQL server configuration manager - make sure that SQL Server Browser service is running.

• Thank you both. Between your suggestions and a few others that I was able to find based upon them, I am now able to connect to the server on that computer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply