Will Tables affect Performance...?

• Hi Guys,

I have a doubt will creation more Tables affect the performance of the Database.

Say i have a table in the Below Structure containing few data in a single table.

ID Code Value

1 CU India

2 CU U.S.S

3 CU Germany

4 CU England

5 CU Russia

6 CU Iraq

7 CP Apple

8 CP Google

9 CP IBM

10 CP Microsoft

11 CP Facebook

12 CP Amazon

13 SP Tennis

14 SP Soccer

15 SP Rugby

16 SP Cricket

17 SP Snooker

18 SP Hockey

19 SP Shooting

20 SP Boxing

If i split the Records of each Code in a single Table will it reduce the performance.

Table 1

ID Code Name

1 CU India

2 CU U.S.S

3 CU Germany

4 CU England

5 CU Russia

6 CU Iraq

Table 2

ID Code Name

1 CP Apple

2 CP Google

3 CP IBM

4 CP Microsoft

5 CP Facebook

6 CP Amazon

Table 3

ID Code Name

13 SP Tennis

14 SP Soccer

15 SP Rugby

16 SP Cricket

17 SP Snooker

18 SP Hockey

19 SP Shooting

20 SP Boxing

Say i have some 1000 Codes will it be better to have all of them in a single Table or to have them in 1000 Separate Table...

Please help me in understanding it...

Thanks in Advance.

• Nothing to do with performance.

Your first design is what's called 'The One Lookup Table' design, and it's usually a complete disaster. With that design it's all too easy for data to get mangled and for things like Country of Cricket and sport of England to find their way into the database (and don't say the app will handle that, heard that before and cleaned up the mess afterwards)

Tables should contain one thing and one thing only, not an amalgamated collection of multiple unrelated objects

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • -edit: just saw Gail identified your logic as an Entiry-value table, and not a single table of similar values.

single table for sure.

That's a basic premise of normalization of your data: you keep data that is the same together.

the key to performance here is going to be putting a proper index(or indexes) ont the table based on how it gets searched with a WHERE statement.

so if that table gets searched via a WHERe statement by NAME='India', for example, you want an index on that, if it seems to be unique enough.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• I'm not a fan of this kind of generic lookup tables - I would create a table for each one of the "codes" you have to describe.

Doing it properly e.g. as many "code" tables as needed - will not have a negative effect on performance and will make you design more elegant and easy to maintain.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

Was help full...

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply