Will multiple files help?

• Hi,

We're having problems in one of our databases that I think are related to IO.  I ran fn_virtualfilestatus and got this output for the the single file in our database.

DbId FileId TimeStamp NumberReads NumberWrites BytesRead BytesWritten IoStallMS

------ ------ ----------- -------------------- -------------------- -------------------- -------------------- --------------------

6 1 1359858843 25203240 4509137 1281165426688 53056741376 255637207

Would breaking this up into multiple files help?   I'd like to keep everything in a single group so developers don't need to remember where to create tables.  

Also, this is on a SAN and our SAN administrator told me that multiple files wont help at all and this is only useful on local disks.  Is this true?

Thanks

• Are you using dual paths (2 fiber channel HBA's) ? Talk to your SAN Admin and have him check the SAN performance stats. Ask him about blocksize (the term changes from vendor to vendor (does 64 kb ring a bell ?) . Is the IOS on your fabric switches up to date ? Maybe these questions will serve as a starting point. On using multiple data files, well, this will only help if the data files are on different LUNs on the SAN residing on separate SAN RAID arrays (unless you are using meta-LUNs).

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply