Wildcard functionality in SSRS

• Hello All,

Am implementing wildcard functionality for reports. Am giving option to select the DB field name, WildCard and value for the selected field. I am able to pass the where clause to SP, but am not getting results in the report. Is there any other way to do the wildcard functionality in UI?

Below is my SP and ASp.NET code:

@DefApp nvarchar(255)= '' ,

@DefBusFunction nvarchar(255)= '' ,

@DefImpact nvarchar(255) = '',

AS

Begin

declare @sql nvarchar(4000)

declare @whereClause nvarchar(4000)

DECLARE @return_value int

declare @sqlWhere nvarchar(4000)

select @sql = 'SELECT DefApp, DefBusFunction, DefImpact FROM Def LEFT JOIN ZFunction ON (def.DefApp = ZFunction.App) AND (Def.DefBusFunction = ZFunction.BusFunction)'

if @DefImpact <> ''

Set @whereClause = ' where DefImpact '

SET @whereClause = @whereClause + ' = ''' + @DefImpact + ''''

set @sqlWhere=@sql + @WhereClause

EXEC @sqlWhere

End

and i am calling this SP from my ASP.net application to fill the SSRS report. I have written code in ASP.NET like:

sqlCmd = new SqlCommand("subbusample", conn);

sqlCmd.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure;

sqlCmd.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@DefImpact", SqlDbType.NVarChar, 255, txtValue3.Text.ToString()));

sqlCmd.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@DefBusFunction", SqlDbType.NVarChar, 255, txtValue1.Text.ToString()));

sqlCmd.Parameters.Add(new SqlParameter("@DefApp", SqlDbType.NVarChar, 255, txtValue2.Text.ToString()));

RptViewer.ProcessingMode = Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ProcessingMode.Remote;

RptViewer.ServerReport.ReportServerUrl = new System.Uri("http://servername/ReportServer");

RptViewer.ShowParameterPrompts = false;

RptViewer.ServerReport.ReportPath = "/folder name/Subbu_Sample";

when i execute it, i am not able to fill the report with data.

Please let me know what i am doing wrong.

Thanks,

SR.

• Subba,

Try this. At the top of your stored procedure, just after the AS clause put in:

set concat_null_yields_null on

Also, for your IF statement, try:

if @DefImpact <> ''

begin

set @whereClause = ' where DefImpact '

set @whereClause = @whereClause + ' = ''' + @DefImpact + ''''

end

• Sorry,

Made a mistake there, that's supposed to be:

set concat_null_yields_null OFF

SQLZ (2/15/2008)

Subba,

Try this. At the top of your stored procedure, just after the AS clause put in:

set concat_null_yields_null on

Also, for your IF statement, try:

if @DefImpact <> ''

begin

set @whereClause = ' where DefImpact '

set @whereClause = @whereClause + ' = ''' + @DefImpact + ''''

end

• Have you verified that you are getting an empty string from the app? Are you sure youare getting data back to the app? I would change the if in the sp to use nullif(value,'') is not null.

• Hi,

I tried in that way. No luck, is there anything i missed in ASP.NET code.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

SR.

• I am not sure what you are trying to do here based on your SP.

If you are trying have Blank Parameter to be passed into your stored Procedure ignored, you can use the following syntax

AND ((@DefImpact IS NULL) OR (Def.DefImpact = @DefImpact )) --If null is passed to variable clause will be ignored.

Can i ask why you are using dynamic SQL

• WHere are you setting the report data source to the sqlcommand you are executing?

• why because we are implementing wildcard functionality in UI. user can select any DB field, any wildcard and can give any value to the field.

for this reason i need to build the sql dynamically.

• For server report, we will be assigning the datasource at design time. when we execute the report, it automatically execute the Datasource.

Is there anyway can we implement this functionality?

• To accomplish what you are trying to accomplish you do not need to create the connection and command in the ASP.NET page. You just need pass the parameter values to the report. This link gives examples in C# and VB on how to do it http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.reporting.winforms.serverreport.setparameters(VS.80).aspx

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply