Why this Function is Slow?!

• Hi,

I've found out that each query that calls this function is very slow. I'd like to know why this function is so slow.

any idea is appreciated

ALTER Function [membership].[fn_GetAllProjectPerUserApplication](@UserName varchar(50),@ConsortiumParty varchar(100), @ApplicationName varchar(50))

Returns table as

return

select ProjectCode ProjectCode from membership.tb_UsersInProjectApplication

where UserName = @UserName and [Application] = @ApplicationName

union

select P.Code from membership.tb_ProjectRoles PR

inner join base.tb_Project_Application PA

on PR.ProjectApplicationID = PA.ID

inner join base.tb_Projects P

on PA.ProjectID = P.ID

where PR.FullRoleName = @ApplicationName + '.ALL.' + @ConsortiumParty + '.ALL.ALL.ALL.ALL'

• both sqls in the union seem to be filtering on Application name, so If they ran alone, I would think they'd be fairly quick.

the union instead of union all could be a little slower, since it would try to merge duplicates...

is it necessary to union and not union all?

last that i can suggest, is there an index on tb_ProjectRoles.PR.FullRoleName? since you are setting that to a known value in the second part of the query, it might require an table scan if there is no index.

And on the first part of the query, an index on tb_UsersInProjectApplication.username?

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• peace2007 (2/21/2009)

I've found out that each query that calls this function is very slow. I'd like to know why this function is so slow.

Execution plan?

Table definitions and index definitions?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply