Why don't bulk imports TABLOCK by default?

• I've been reading about the "table lock on bulk load" option and TABLOCK hint.

So my understanding is by default only row locks are taken out and other queries can read/write data while the bulk load is going on. However if you were doing parallel bulk loads with overlapping keys from a clustered index then they may block each other.

But if the option is enabled, you can do the parallel bulk loads without blocking because a table lock is taken out, however, other processes couldn't read/write the data until they're all done.

Is that the gist of it? I think I got confused by some misinformation. Don't all those row locks eventually likely escalate to a table lock anyway though?

• Sounds like you have it covered. Lock escalation occurs, but I don't find it's a common thing. If you're doing the type of data load that's going to benefit from what's considered non-standard behavior within SQL Server, you're best served by taking direct control of that process.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply