Why do I have to register again to see articles?

• I registered on SQLServerCentral recently, and as I browse through articles I often get to a page that only shows the first few paragraphs and a notice to Register or Login to see the rest of the article. I'm already logged in! Well, so I try putting in my credentials anyway and it tells me I'm not a user in the system. It's then that I see I'm not on SQLServerCentral.com anymore. By redirecting me to a different website where I once again have to register makes this repository very user unfriendly! As an article repository, you should point us to articles we can read without having to register to yet another website, or at least partner with these other sites to allow your members access to the articles you link to. If I keep running into this, I'll end up not using this site at all.

• vgrimes (6/26/2009)

I registered on SQLServerCentral recently, and as I browse through articles I often get to a page that only shows the first few paragraphs and a notice to Register or Login to see the rest of the article. I'm already logged in! Well, so I try putting in my credentials anyway and it tells me I'm not a user in the system. It's then that I see I'm not on SQLServerCentral.com anymore. By redirecting me to a different website where I once again have to register makes this repository very user unfriendly! As an article repository, you should point us to articles we can read without having to register to yet another website, or at least partner with these other sites to allow your members access to the articles you link to. If I keep running into this, I'll end up not using this site at all.

That isn't how it works for me. And I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else. I would suspect that there is some setting in your system or browser that is incompatible with the SQLServerCentral sessions.

First, you should NOT have to re-register. You might have to re-login if there is some sessions compatibility issues, but you should NOT have to re-register.

When you re-register, are you using the exact same email & username info? If you are and this appears to work at first, then I would strongly suspect that you are being victimized by some kind of hijacking software and/or interception site.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Barry, I think he's talking about the "Additional Articles" that appear on the home page that are from TechNet, SearchSQLServer or other sites.

vgrimes: If you look at the notes beneath each article you can see the source for it. Articles that are here at SSC would appear something like this:

By < Author > 2009/06/26 | Source: SQLServerCentral.com | Category: SQL Server

Articles that are on other sites would look something like this

By Additional Articles 2009/06/26 | Source: TechNet | Category: Data Warehousing

If the source is anything other that SQLServerCentral.com then it means that when you click that you're going to a different site and may be subject to that site's login and usage policy, just as if you'd clicked a link to the article from google (or other favourite search engine).

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Oh, I didn't think of that, Gail! Good catch. 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Thank you both. I believe Gail was right - I was clicking on links where the source was something other than SQLServerCentral. The problem is, those links are so prominent on the home page, and the digest emails I'm now getting also have some of these same links to outside sources. Is there any way to filter those articles/links out rather than having them so prominent? I mean, wouldn't this site want to be promoting its own links over external ones?

• Not that I've seen, but the first article is always local, the second is sometimes and then the ones below are from other sites. I just check the source and see if it's a site I know or if it's one that I don't have an account on.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • As Gail mentioned, each link has a Source that shows where the link is from. We link one or two of our articles each day and then a couple external ones as well, to let you see what else is published out on the Internet. As great a site as we think this is, we don't cover every topic and there are a lot of great authors out there writing for other sites.

• Thank you Steve. I get it now. I still find it rather un-user friendly. Frankly, if I have to register at a different site just to see the article, I'd rather not even know it's out there unless I'm specifically looking for it. Otherwise it's distracting. If, however, you negotiated some shared logins with the other sites so I didn't have to re-register, that would definitely be easier to use.

• Shared logins might be hard to get to work, and I'm not sure how we could get permission from people to use them.

We try not to link to places that require logins, but we have had a few places start using logins where they did not previously. If you let me know which ones, I'll avoid linking to them.

Or maybe I'll add a note that a login is required.

• Hi Steve - that sounds reasonable. I think some kind of note to indicate registration required would be helpful. I looked back at the article I was originally trying to view and it was from SearchSQLServer, specifically: http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid87_gci1358949,00.html

Ironically, other articles from SearthSQLServer do not require logging in to see the rest - maybe because they are shorter articles?

Despite my critique, I ~have~ found some interesting tidbits from here, and otherwise the site seems quite useful. Thank you also for your interest in resolving this for me. 🙂

• Grr... here's another one that came out of the daily email:

http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid87_gci1361077,00.html

• vgrimes (7/14/2009)

Grr... here's another one that came out of the daily email:

http://searchsqlserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid87_gci1361077,00.html

I have run into these myself at times. Not really a sqlservercentral.com problem. Other sites may require logins to view their content.

• Steve, et al, I'm sorry to keep hounding on this but boy is it frustrating to follow one of your links, only to find that now I have to sign up on google's site to see the article. In the recent Weekly DB email, you have this listed:

Using DateDiff can query performance problems in SQL 2005 and 2008, which takes me to https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?hl=en&nui=1&service=reader&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F%3Futm_campaign%3Den%26utm_source%3Den-ha-ww-ww-bk%26utm_medium%3Dha%26utm_term%3Dgoogle%2Breader

Seriously, I'm not going to create a google acct now! But I was thinking, this post must be listed elsewhere. A quick search of "datadiff performance problems" took me directly to an MSDN post with the exact same title! (http://blogs.msdn.com/psssql/archive/2009/07/17/using-datediff-can-query-performance-problems-in-sql-2005-and-2008.aspx) Couldn't you link to the msdn post instead of trying to get me to sign up for yet another service?? Why would you choose to link to a site that requires registration when you could link to the same post where I can just read it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply