While Restoring the Log backup getting Error

• Hi ,

Am using SQL server 2012,

I Have taken full backup and Log backup of mydb(TestDb),

Now i am trying to Restore the backup of my Original Database(TestDb) to New Database (TestDb_New) ,

I have restored fullback successfully but while am trying to Restore am getting an error.

Please help me out...

PFA...

Regards

Jagadeesh...

Regards
    Chowdary...

• Did you restore the FULL backup with the WITH NORECOVERY or WITH STANDBY option?

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **
  • You restored the full backup WITH RECOVERY (the default), hence SQL recovered the database and brought it online at the end of the restore, allowing no further backups to be restored.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thank you My Dear Brothers..........

I got it now...

Am Really telling that if i get a problem regarding SQL directly am getting the idea to post in our forums ,

even i don't think about Google....

Thank you All......

Regards
    Chowdary...

• Hi Mr.HanShi and Mr.Gail Shaw Gud Morning..

Here am having some doubt pls clarify me...

In 2012 SQL server while restoring the DB(Test) backup to new DB (NewTest) by default that Tail log backup Option is enabling ,If i forget to uncheck that Tail log backup Option my Original DB(Test) status is changing to Restoring mode,Actually i don't want to disturb my Original DB.

Here my Question is , "Is there any chances to Unselect that Tail Logbackup option".

Please help me.............

PFA..

Regards

Jagadeesh..:cool:

Regards
    Chowdary...

• It depends on what is the purpose. If you would like to restore point in time or all the current transaction which is not backed up in your current T-log backup than yes you need to have tail-log backup.

If you are restoring for test environment than you can skip this if nor required.

HTH

---------------------------------------------------
    "Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

• Thank you for replying sir,

This is my Test Environment but if i goto Live there i can't disturb my Production Original Database,If i forgot to Unselect the Tail Logbackup option and took the backup of my Original DB then my db goes to Restoring state,At that time users may not connect with the Original DB.

So is there any option to uncheck that Tail logbackup option by default.

Regards

Jagadeesh...

Regards
    Chowdary...

• I suggest to script out your backup (and restore) command. The easiest way to get this script is to walk through the GUI like you used to do. But instead of clicking [OK] when ready, you click the [Script] button in the menu (or the black triangle besides and choose your option).

The next time you need to backup or restore a database, you can use this script. In this script you have only the option you want and nothing more (no mistake by extra or less options possible). You only need to adjust the variable values like the backup filename.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply