While Loop Vs Cursor

• can i arrange a hot coffee for you ?

karthik

• I've been out on a job. Sorry for throwing this out there and running, but I hoped it could get you started...

Jeff Moden (4/24/2008)

Barry, would you explain why you used WHERE N BETWEEN N AND somedateformula? I think it should have been WHERE N BETWEEN 1 AND somedateformula.

Thanks for picking this up Jeff, and you're right, of course. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be "N BETWEEN 1 and ...".

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• rbarry,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

karthik

• rbarryyoung (4/24/2008)

I've been out on a job. Sorry for throwing this out there and running, but I hoped it could get you started...

Jeff Moden (4/24/2008)

Barry, would you explain why you used WHERE N BETWEEN N AND somedateformula? I think it should have been WHERE N BETWEEN 1 AND somedateformula.

Thanks for picking this up Jeff, and you're right, of course. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be "N BETWEEN 1 and ...".

Not a problem... knowing you, I thought you may have come up with some new bit of "rocket science" using the Tally table and was too busy to test for the same reason as you 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (4/25/2008)

rbarryyoung (4/24/2008)

Not a problem... knowing you, I thought you may have come up with some new bit of "rocket science" using the Tally table and was too busy to test for the same reason as you 🙂

Sadly, not this time. But your confidence is flattering 🙂

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I didn't check your code, but here's what I noticed.

1. Someone mentioned "Firehose" cursor. That means Fast Forward and Read Only. Cursors, by default, are aware of changes in the table used for the SELECT. I didn't see that you were looking for changes explicitly.

2. I didn't see any select statement on the temp table within the cursor loop, so drop the index. It takes overhead to keep rebuilding it everytime you insert a record. Add it after you're done.

3. Do you really need the BEGIN/COMMIT TRANS? That alone is twice the work. Once to check for the error and then to actually insert it.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply