While I am creating the Cluster of sql server 2008 R2 I am getting error:

• JohnnyDBA (12/16/2011)

Microsoft believes the root cause is an issue with the mount point configuration.

I'd be inclined to agree.

Where are your disks presented from for the mounted volumes are they SAN or local disks?

Please refer to my article on mount points for SQL Server config info

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/mount+points/75855/[/url]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• We got past the problem today!

Here is a recap of the issue

When originally running the installation, the "Cluster Disk Selection" page was showing all of the mount point disks and excluding the root volume that the mount points were attached to. It was giving the following error:

Mount point 'O:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-883295689-2196766832-912090961-2119\$RRM7YKS\' of volume '\\?\Volume{8ee57b2e-b5f8-11df-8c30-0024e86f10c5}\' found on shared drive 'Cluster Disk 26' partition 'O:'

Later on when we got to the "Database Engine Configuration" page, it was showing GUID references to the mount point volumes in the form of \\?\Volume{8ee57b2e-b5f8-11df-8c30-0024e86f10c5}. If we tried to select that as the installation path we would receive an error saying that the path was malformed. If we selected the actual path we would receive the error saying that the disk was not a member of the resource group.

Here is the fix

Ultimately it looked like there was orphaned or ghosted information on the drive and it appeared to be stored in the recycle bin. We took these steps:

- Remove the disks from the resource group

- Remove the disks from the cluster

- Bring the disks online in computer management

- Format the root disk that the mount points were attached to

- Recreate the mount points on the root disk

- Re-add the disks to the cluster

- Re-add the disks to the resource group

- Re-create the dependencies from the mount point disks to the root disk

* I don't recall if we had to delete the mount points prior to formatting the root disk but it couldn't hurt.

After this was done, when we got to the Cluster Disk Selection page, the only disk available was the root disk. The Microsoft tech said this was normal because the mount points should be attached to that disk. Later when we got to the Database Engine Configuration page, we were able to select the proper paths and proceed without a problem.

Hope that helps some of you in the same situation.

John

• Glad to hear this 🙂 Thanks for sharing the solution with all 🙂

Sujeet Singh

• Maybe you could blog about it!

• Ignacio A. Salom Rangel (12/20/2011)

Maybe you could blog about it!

See my link above 😉

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi,

Did you manage to fix your problem because I have the same issue on my cluster...

Regards

• Pieter Vanhove (1/19/2012)

Hi,

Did you manage to fix your problem because I have the same issue on my cluster...

Regards

Start a new thread giving details of your issue where people will be more able to help you

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply