which collation to use?

• Hi,

I've just attached a SQL Server 2005 database we're going to use, and the "central" table has 2 main columns, both NVarChar but one is SQL_Latin_General_CP1_CI_AS and the other is Latin_General_CI_AS

All text columns in the database are NVarChar and should be on the same collation. We're based in the UK and won't have anything but British English in the database.

Can anybody tell me which of these 2 collations I should be using?

• - someone didn't pay attention when creating/altering the table.

- Latin_General_CI_AS is a "new" sqlserver2005 collation. This should have some advantages for NVarchar. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143515.aspx

Check out the msdn article if you might have advantages with switching.

Anyway, if you switch, switch to the server's default collation if you can otherwise you may have problems when using tempdb-objects (or always declare the collation for #/##/@temptb-objects explicit)

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Just a quick correction. Latin_General_CI_AS does not exist but Latin1_General_CI_AS exist in SQL Server 2005 but it is not new and has existed since SQL Server 2000 (when collations became more granular then on DB instance level).

P.S What is wrong with the Forums 'Quote' feature? When I use it my reply is not visible...

Edit: Like the below post. I used quote but my message tuned out like that:

• Just a quick correction. Latin_General_CI_AS does not exist but Latin1_General_CI_AS exist in SQL Server 2005 but it is not new and has existed since SQL Server 2000 (when collations became more granular then on DB instance level).

• Works well for me... maybe it's just an html formatting problem .

• RGR'us: Thanx. But then it is browser independant, both Firefox and IE deals with it the same way (your quote is inside my message (my prior quote)). I have never seen anything similar. I hope my coorporate firewall has not started garbling the forum HTML responses (but it seems very unlikely since the effect is so localized).

Edit: P.S And this Reply turns out INSIDE my original quote, together with your reply/quote...

• Thanks for the help, I've got it all nicely set to Latin1_General_CI_AS now.

I'm staying away from the Quote button!

• I think the forum has gone crazy. I'ts not just you Hanslindgren

• It's happened before... it's most likely and unclosed <table> statement that is causing this... nothing to worry about .

• Damn, did I just fix it or did somebody else deleted/edited a post???

• Hehe. Maybe someone closed that open ended <table> (if that was the problem)...

• Wasn't me !

• ...or maybe some Admin that fixed the starting tag...

• Maybe... but I think he has better things to do .

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply