Whether my table is stored as heap or b-tree?

• Hi,

I have a SQL Server 2005 database. It’s .MDF & .LDF can be downloaded at https://www.dropbox.com/s/uj2mw410jm2m078/MyDB.rar?dl=0

Now I want to know whether two table are stored as heap or b-tree(linked list), so I run the following commands:

USE CR_YPLS8_NEW_QB;

select

sys.objects.name,

sys.objects.object_id,

sys.partitions.index_id,

sys.system_internals_allocation_units.first_page,

sys.system_internals_allocation_units.first_iam_page

from sys.objects, sys.partitions, sys.system_internals_allocation_units

where (sys.partitions.object_id = sys.objects.object_id) and (sys.system_internals_allocation_units.container_id = sys.partitions.partition_id) and

((name = 'cardfa') or (name = 'pcspkc'));

Where 'cardfa' and 'pcspkc' are the two user tables I want to investigate.

The result is below:

Based on https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189051%28v=sql.105%29.aspx, since both table’s index_id is 1, they are all stored as b-tree(linked list). However, with the help of DBCC Page command, I find the 'cardfa' table is actually stored in heap, which is inconsistent with the search result. Why?

Thanks

• It's a whole lot easer than that. If the table has a Clustered index, the table will be based on a B-TREE. If it's a HEAP, it will be based on an IAM.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff beat me to it. Tables are either HEAPS or Clustered Tables (e.g. a table with a clustered index which means it's a B-Tree).

I would add, you could run this query for a list of all your heaps:

SELECT t.name, t.object_id, i.type_desc

FROM sys.tables t

JOIN sys.indexes i

ON t.object_id = i.object_id

AND i.type_desc = 'HEAP';

If your this query does not return your tables then they are not heaps.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• keithy_sunny (11/13/2015)

However, with the help of DBCC Page command, I find the 'cardfa' table is actually stored in heap

What, from DBCC Page, led you to conclude that?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • keithy_sunny (11/13/2015)

Hi,

I have a SQL Server 2005 database. It’s .MDF & .LDF can be downloaded at https://www.dropbox.com/s/uj2mw410jm2m078/MyDB.rar?dl=0

Now I want to know whether two table are stored as heap or b-tree(linked list), so I run the following commands:

USE CR_YPLS8_NEW_QB;

select

sys.objects.name,

sys.objects.object_id,

sys.partitions.index_id,

sys.system_internals_allocation_units.first_page,

sys.system_internals_allocation_units.first_iam_page

from sys.objects, sys.partitions, sys.system_internals_allocation_units

where (sys.partitions.object_id = sys.objects.object_id) and (sys.system_internals_allocation_units.container_id = sys.partitions.partition_id) and

((name = 'cardfa') or (name = 'pcspkc'));

Where 'cardfa' and 'pcspkc' are the two user tables I want to investigate.

The result is below:

Based on https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189051%28v=sql.105%29.aspx, since both table’s index_id is 1, they are all stored as b-tree(linked list). However, with the help of DBCC Page command, I find the 'cardfa' table is actually stored in heap, which is inconsistent with the search result. Why?

Thanks

Please see my script at this link[/url] for more on how to get HEAP or clustered index size and info

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply