Where do you install your 2016 RC instances?

• Do you put them in a vm on your laptop? Desktop pc? Big physical server? VM host and SAN?

If you use your laptop, is the 4 or so gb of ram you can give to the vm really sufficient to test 2016's capabilities?

Windows 10 or 2012 R2?

Do you restore your production, QA or Dev databases onto the test instance, to mess around with the RC's features?

Thanks for any input.

• Personally, I would install CTPs and RCs onto a VM that I can blow away - these products are not intended to go to production and may have side effects that you don't want.

As for the database to use - that really is up to you and your organisation.

• Azure VM loaded with server 2012 R2. The uninstallers and upgrades often tend not to work 100% effectively on CTPs and RCs.

As for what DB, depends what I'm doing. If I'm poking around at features, I'll use one of my test DBs that I use for blog posts and articles. If I'm testing an app to see how it'll work on SQL 2016, then I'll use that app's DB.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Same here, I tend to spin up a VM in Azure and deleted it when I have finished "playing around".

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply