'Where' conditions

• I have a requirement

We have a table Test

ServerName DatabaseName

D900 Test1

D200 Test1

D900 Test2

I need to write a query in such as way that the result set should not contain the first row values i.e., servername D900 and databasename Test1

How can I write my select query?

Please let me know

Thanks.

• Either you can write your query like this:

SELECT *

FROM Test

WHERE NOT( ServerName = 'D900'

AND DatabaseName = 'Test1')

Or you could tell us how do you define the first row. Remember that rows in a table have no particular order.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • I have so many NOT IN conditions like ::

Select * from backups

where

databasename not in (select databasename from backups where servername ='d900' and databasename like '%uat%')

AND databasename not in (select databasename from backup where servername ='d200' and databasename like '%uat%')

for the above asked question if I write

And databasename NOT IN (select databasename from backup where servername ='d900' and databasename ='test1')

It would take into consideration the D200 server too

I want the results of D200 server test1 database

I just want to skip d900 server test1 database.

• SQLAddict01 (9/8/2015)

I have so many NOT IN conditions like ::

Select * from backups

where

databasename not in (select databasename from backups where servername ='d900' and databasename like '%uat%')

AND databasename not in (select databasename from backup where servername ='d200' and databasename like '%uat%')

And databasename NOT IN (select databasename from backup where servername ='d900' and databasename ='test1')

Is this what you are looking for?

-- Create Table

DECLARE @test-2 AS TABLE (ServerName varchar(50), DatabaseName varchar(50));

-- Insert Records

INSERT INTO @test-2 (ServerName, DatabaseName) VALUES ('D900','Test1'),('D200','Test1'),('D900','Test2');

--Verify Data

SELECT * FROM @test-2

--Return Everything but the first recored

SELECT *

FROM @test-2

WHERE ServerName + DatabaseName <> (SELECT TOP 1 ServerName + DatabaseName FROM @test-2)

(3 row(s) affected)

ServerName DatabaseName

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

D900 Test1

D200 Test1

D900 Test2

(3 row(s) affected)

ServerName DatabaseName

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------------

D200 Test1

D900 Test2

(2 row(s) affected)

• eccentricDBA (9/8/2015)

SQLAddict01 (9/8/2015)

Select * from backups

where

-- Create Table

-- Insert Records

INSERT INTO @test-2 (ServerName, DatabaseName) VALUES ('D900','Test1'),('D200','Test1'),('D900','Test2');

--Verify Data

SELECT * FROM @test-2

SELECT *

FROM @test-2

WHERE ServerName + DatabaseName <> (SELECT TOP 1 ServerName + DatabaseName FROM @test-2)

(3 row(s) affected)

ServerName DatabaseName

D900 Test1

D200 Test1

D900 Test2

(3 row(s) affected)

ServerName DatabaseName

D200 Test1

D900 Test2

(2 row(s) affected)

The problem here is you are using top without an order by. This will work on this tiny sample of data but without an order by there is no way to ensure which row will be returned by top.

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• SQLAddict01 (9/8/2015)

Select * from backups

where

Then doesn't this give you what you want?

Select

from

backups

where

databasename not in (select databasename from backups where servername ='d900' and databasename like '%uat%');

• Sean Lange (9/8/2015)

eccentricDBA (9/8/2015)

SQLAddict01 (9/8/2015)

Select * from backups

where

-- Create Table

-- Insert Records

--Verify Data

SELECT * FROM @test-2

SELECT *

FROM @test-2

(3 row(s) affected)

ServerName DatabaseName

D900 Test1

D200 Test1

D900 Test2

(3 row(s) affected)

ServerName DatabaseName

D200 Test1

D900 Test2

(2 row(s) affected)

The problem here is you are using top without an order by. This will work on this tiny sample of data but without an order by there is no way to ensure which row will be returned by top.

Sean you are correct. Here is the modification with the order by.

SELECT *

FROM @test-2

WHERE ServerName + DatabaseName <> (SELECT TOP 1 ServerName + DatabaseName FROM @test-2 ORDER BY ServerName, DatabaseName)

ORDER BY ServerName, DatabaseName

SQLAddict01 I'm unsure what you are looking for. Are you looking to always remove the first row or are you looking to remove the first row for each server?

• Thank you for all your effort.

I just want to remove that particular record. It's not always on the first row, it can be anywhere in the table.

• SQLAddict01 (9/8/2015)

Select * from backups

where

That's not the code I proposed, I never used IN.

Do you need to exclude several rows? How do you define which ones to exclude? If it's a single row with explicit values, I gave you a possibility. If not, please tell us how do you know which rows.

And NO, NOT IN is not the best option in this case because you need to compare 2 columns.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Lynn Pettis (9/8/2015)

SQLAddict01 (9/8/2015)

Then doesn't this give you what you want?

Select

from

backups

where

databasename not in (select databasename from backups where servername ='d900' and databasename like '%uat%');

That would also eliminate the third row in the example because the databasename is the same as the row in the sub-select.

• There is an option that I haven't seen anyone else suggest. It does depend on you being able to specify an order such that the row to exclude always appears first. It uses syntax introduced in SQL-2012 for paging SQL results.

SELECT *

FROM Test

ORDER BY <your order criteria here>

OFFSET 1 ROW

Drew

J. Drew Allen
    Business Intelligence Analyst
    Philadelphia, PA

• drew.allen (9/10/2015)

There is an option that I haven't seen anyone else suggest. It does depend on you being able to specify an order such that the row to exclude always appears first. It uses syntax introduced in SQL-2012 for paging SQL results.

SELECT *

FROM Test

ORDER BY <your order criteria here>

OFFSET 1 ROW

Drew

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for sharing it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply