Where clause excludes rows with Null Values

• I need to exclude 5 types of accounts for a report. My query is as follows:

SELECT INDACCOUNTNUMBER, TOTALPYMTAMT, NETPAID, PAIDDATE, ACCOUNT_NAME

FROM dbo.Audit2010$

WHERE (ACCOUNT_NAME <> 'Community Impact Fund') AND (ACCOUNT_NAME <> 'Health') AND (ACCOUNT_NAME <> 'Income') AND (ACCOUNT_NAME <> 'Education') AND (ACCOUNT_NAME <> 'Community Relief Fund')

For some reason, this query is also excluding results where the ACCOUNT_NAME field is null. I have tried including "AND (ACCOUNT_NAME IS NULL OR ACCOUNT_NAME='')" but that returned no results.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Try wrapping your column in ISNULL() or COALESCE()

example:

FROM dbo.Audit2010$

WHERE ISNULL(ACCOUNT_NAME,'') IN ('Community Impact Fund','Health', 'Income', 'Education','Community Relief Fund')

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• It's all about the parentheses...try it this way:

SELECT INDACCOUNTNUMBER ,

TOTALPYMTAMT ,

NETPAID ,

PAIDDATE ,

ACCOUNT_NAME

FROM dbo.Audit2010$

WHERE ACCOUNT_NAME IS NULL

OR (

( ACCOUNT_NAME <> 'Community Impact Fund' )

AND ( ACCOUNT_NAME <> 'Health' )

AND ( ACCOUNT_NAME <> 'Income' )

AND ( ACCOUNT_NAME <> 'Education' )

AND ( ACCOUNT_NAME <> 'Community Relief Fund' )

)

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• ...same results but a little more concise:

TOTALPYMTAMT ,

NETPAID ,

PAIDDATE ,

ACCOUNT_NAME

FROM dbo.Audit2010$

OR ACCOUNT_NAME NOT IN ( 'Community Impact Fund', 'Health', 'Income', 'Education', 'Community Relief Fund' )

There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community.
    --Plato

• opc.three (5/23/2011)

...same results but a little more concise:

TOTALPYMTAMT ,

NETPAID ,

PAIDDATE ,

ACCOUNT_NAME

FROM dbo.Audit2010$

OR ACCOUNT_NAME NOT IN ( 'Community Impact Fund', 'Health', 'Income', 'Education', 'Community Relief Fund' )

D'oh! NOT in, right... thanks opc.three

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

• Sure thing jcrawf02. As a side note, I would not have posted at all because the poster would have caught the IN/NOT IN logic nugget, however when there is a logically equivalent option you should avoid wrapping columns with functions (built-in or user-defined) as it can negate the use of indexes and result in the optimizer choosing to do expensive table or index scans. Sometimes wrapping a column with a function may be the only choice to get the result you need, however in this case there were better options.

--Plato

• opc.three (5/24/2011)

Sure thing jcrawf02. As a side note, I would not have posted at all because the poster would have caught the IN/NOT IN logic nugget, however when there is a logically equivalent option you should avoid wrapping columns with functions (built-in or user-defined) as it can negate the use of indexes and result in the optimizer choosing to do expensive table or index scans. Sometimes wrapping a column with a function may be the only choice to get the result you need, however in this case there were better options.

Good point, thanks.

• jcrawf02 (5/24/2011)

opc.three (5/24/2011)

Sure thing jcrawf02. As a side note, I would not have posted at all because the poster would have caught the IN/NOT IN logic nugget, however when there is a logically equivalent option you should avoid wrapping columns with functions (built-in or user-defined) as it can negate the use of indexes and result in the optimizer choosing to do expensive table or index scans. Sometimes wrapping a column with a function may be the only choice to get the result you need, however in this case there were better options.

Good point, thanks.

I just recognized you from the boards jcrawf02...I am confident you already knew this point...sorry if it came across as a lecture.

--Plato

• opc.three (5/24/2011)

I just recognized you from the boards jcrawf02

Which means nothing, I'm definitely not an expert, just trying to learn 😉

opc.three (5/24/2011)

...I am confident you already knew this point

Ah, but you see I had momentarily forgotten that, so worth the post, and instructive to others who might not know, including possibly the OP

opc.three (5/24/2011)

...sorry if it came across as a lecture.

Which it did not. Thanks! 🙂

• THank you all for your help!

• Your parentheses are getting you again. I assume you want

FROM dbo.Audit2010$

WHERE

(--treat both ACCOUNT_NAME conditions as one by enclosing in parentheses

ACCOUNT_NAME IS NULL

OR (ACCOUNT_NAME Not In ('Community Impact Fund','Health','Income','Education','Community Relief Fund'))

)

AND TOTALPYMTAMT=0

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply