When Work Gets in the Way of Work

• I was very upfront with my current boss before accepting my current position that I got burned out at my previous job. He was very understanding and even told me to slap him in the face if he started accepting too many projects that would require nights and weekends. It makes all the difference in the world with one's quality of work and satisfaction if management is on the same page.

Aigle de Guerre!

• Oh, and thanks for all the hard work Steve & Co. This site saved me nearly a decade ago when I suddenly inherited my first DBA position and didn't have a clue what I was doing. I've been coming back ever since.

Aigle de Guerre!

• I read somewhere that 80% of "employees", who have the position of "management" should not be there. I have to think that most of these managers are "Yes" people, which turns into "Get it done", then into, "have it ready by Monday morning" from an email Sunday night.

By the way, just because I don't comment all the time, doesn't mean I don't keep up with this site. Thanks for your efforts Steve, I find it compelling to log in and look at what's new, daily.

• Meow Now (10/22/2014)

Oh, and thanks for all the hard work Steve & Co. This site saved me nearly a decade ago when I suddenly inherited my first DBA position and didn't have a clue what I was doing. I've been coming back ever since.

You are welcome, and glad we can help.

• jaime.simancas 27970 (10/24/2014)

I read somewhere that 80% of "employees", who have the position of "management" should not be there. I have to think that most of these managers are "Yes" people, which turns into "Get it done", then into, "have it ready by Monday morning" from an email Sunday night.

By the way, just because I don't comment all the time, doesn't mean I don't keep up with this site. Thanks for your efforts Steve, I find it compelling to log in and look at what's new, daily.

You are welcome, and thanks for the note.

On managers, we often promote the "best" people at some other job, like programming, to be managers, which isn't even a good idea. The best at job A, might not be the best at job B, but more importantly, that means we have less than the best at job A. Not a good thing for anyone.

• Hey Steve,
    I would like to apply for a part time job helping you out.
    I could be a copy editor to help reduce typos.
    I could also provide good questions to cover, to help the novice out.
    But I will not be able to take your clothes to the cleaners, or walk your dog(s).
    I still would like to work with SQL Server Central.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, October 27, 2014 10:02 AM

On managers, we often promote the "best" people at some other job, like programming, to be managers, which isn't even a good idea. The best at job A, might not be the best at job B, but more importantly, that means we have less than the best at job A. Not a good thing for anyone.

I read a book many years ago about the Peter Principle which says that everyone rises to their level of incompetence because if they are not good at their current position they will not be promoted any further.
    Edit: fix spelling

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply