When To Hire a DBA

• george sibbald (4/28/2011)

As to the real point of the article, hire someone when you don't have enough resources to fulfill the present and expected ongoing workload. IT's the managers job to recognise that or risk losing their current resources.

Ah, but where is that point? I know it tends to vary depending on what environment you're working in. If you're working on an app that relies heavily on data storage you need a DBA. If you're working at a large company that doesn't develop it's own apps but has a number of SQL servers that run critical applications you may need a DBA to make sure that if there is an issue with one of those apps you have someone on hand that is familiar with it to jump right on it. However, you may be able to rely on the vendor for that. I know at the vendor I last worked with we had people that would handle that for clients but it was billable work and could get expensive fast. However, the place I work at now has free support from a number of vendors for things we would have billed for at my last place.

Using a consultant is another possibility. A lot of this is weighing risk. There may not be enough work to keep a full-time DBA on staff and the risk that a consultant won't be immediately available may be low enough that it's worth going that route. I know both places I've worked at have needed at least one DBA. The vendor had a number of Database Developers because the apps used the database so heavily. The current place has enough instances to keep one DBA busy and with other projects it was overwhelming so they hired me.

• cfradenburg (4/28/2011)

george sibbald (4/28/2011)

As to the real point of the article, hire someone when you don't have enough resources to fulfill the present and expected ongoing workload. IT's the managers job to recognise that or risk losing their current resources.

Ah, but where is that point? I know it tends to vary depending on what environment you're working in. If you're working on an app that relies heavily on data storage you need a DBA. If you're working at a large company that doesn't develop it's own apps but has a number of SQL servers that run critical applications you may need a DBA to make sure that if there is an issue with one of those apps you have someone on hand that is familiar with it to jump right on it. However, you may be able to rely on the vendor for that. I know at the vendor I last worked with we had people that would handle that for clients but it was billable work and could get expensive fast. However, the place I work at now has free support from a number of vendors for things we would have billed for at my last place.

Using a consultant is another possibility. A lot of this is weighing risk. There may not be enough work to keep a full-time DBA on staff and the risk that a consultant won't be immediately available may be low enough that it's worth going that route. I know both places I've worked at have needed at least one DBA. The vendor had a number of Database Developers because the apps used the database so heavily. The current place has enough instances to keep one DBA busy and with other projects it was overwhelming so they hired me.

when FTE < predicted workload going forward.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• dma-669038 (4/28/2011)

Steve, am not sure how you say that doing dev. work with dba work can land you jobs in smaller more fun companies...could you explain further? Thanks.

If you have dev skills, you can apply for jobs where smaller companies might need a dev, but also a part time DBA. I have applied for, had, and seen a few jobs that are almost a 50/50 split for a dev/DBA.

There are also companies that would hire a DBA if they could get some other dev or system administration skills that could be used to help maintain their networks.

I've found smaller companies tend to be a little more fun to work in.

• cfradenburg (4/28/2011)

. . . Similarly, when designing an application you want to have a DBA that really understands DB design and access very, very well and understand the developer side enough to have intelligent conversations and ask questions to better understand why the developer wants the data a certain way. . . .

As a (mostly) dev, I expect DBAs to be at least equal partners in design of security. And that's not a small task.

• Thank you, yes that makes sense. I guess also these things go in cycles...i worked for a small shop a while ago...it was fun in many ways but i got tired of being the only person on call, besides they were somewhat resistent to doing anything in a systematic way, everyone wanted their own way. So i landed in a bigger shop where process is awesome and we are 4 dbas now...but not a whole lot of fun...thinking the other way now...:))

• I believe that the ROI can be measured by the DBA in reverse. Ie. What is the cost to the company, if its systems are slow or have stopped?

How much money is lost with the lack of systems or delays in the execution of daily tasks and routine. Old information that are not recovered, will generate expenses?

Ricardo Duarte

• I don't want to be a DBA. I'm a developer. But I find myself hosting and managing a few small databases for the applications I wrote for my clients. Ihave tried to figure out how to set up backup for them, at one point even had the RedGate license for the backup program (maybe still do, it was hard to use when I had it). There's no reasonable GUI for setting up backups, as far as I can figure. Command line stuff is so 1980's.

When I want to hire some help for development, I can find some outsourcing sites. When I want to trust someone with setting up my maintenance for my databases, I'm nervous about handing them the keys to the jewels. I wish this site (maybe it does) had some place where I could hire one of the experts for a few hours to RDP to my sites and set up decent maintenance plans, and tell me how to run them.

• PhilM99 (4/28/2011)

When I want to hire some help for development, I can find some outsourcing sites. When I want to trust someone with setting up my maintenance for my databases, I'm nervous about handing them the keys to the jewels. I wish this site (maybe it does) had some place where I could hire one of the experts for a few hours to RDP to my sites and set up decent maintenance plans, and tell me how to run them.

Tried to do this as a business model once myself, but didn't have the marketing chops to get enough work. There are a few consulting organizations that do it if you look on the web.

So many companies handle the dba role so differently that I don't think there's one answer to the question of when to hire a dba. As a manager, I'd put it differently -- when do you need a database expert, and what kind of expert do you need? If you're dealing with an app that has a database and either you're the creator or the vendor doesn't support it, the answer to the first is "always." The second question is the one that depends on your business model. I've seen companies get away with a developer with dba knowledge for years. I've also seen many have that model long after they need a dedicated DBA. And as people have said, a lot of managers have no idea what to do with a DBA beyond letting them handle basic administration. I haven't met many DBAs who are content with doing nothing but administration (though I know they're out there).

• If you have SQL 2005 or SQL 2008 and haven't looked at maintenance plans (in Object Explorer it's under Management then Maintenance Plans) take a look into those. It's all GUI based and for smaller databases should get you what you need. Assuming you already know what you need in terms of full/log backups etc. I haven't looked for jobs on this side so I'm not sure if they have someplace to post contract work but there are certainly a number of consultants that are around so there may be.

• Jaysen Courmac (4/28/2011)

PhilM99 (4/28/2011)

I haven't met many DBAs who are content with doing nothing but administration (though I know they're out there).

Depends on how much 'administration'...am one of those DBAs who is stuck with 'administering' 50+ servers on a daily basis...i'd dearly love to get involved with development or BI but simply do not have the time. But I get paid more than they do so can't complain too much. I know lot of people stuck with operational work like me. DBA to me is a fancy word for lot of responsibility and too much operational work in return for reasonably good pay. Only some DBAs get enough time (and recognition) to rise above operational responsibilities.

• This is exactly what we do.

Give us a call and I can get you a quote. We specialize in doing DBA for companies who are large enough to need a DBA, but don't need a full timer.

Jim

Jim Murphy
    http://www.sqlwatchmen.com
    @SQLMurph

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/28/2011)

I've found smaller companies tend to be a little more fun to work in.

Heck Yeah, straight DB administration is boring as far as I'm concerned. I've been lucky to find places that need a DBA who can develop and wear a Business Analyst hat too. As long as I don't have to answer the help desk phone I'm happy.

• PhilM99 (4/28/2011)

I don't want to be a DBA. I'm a developer. But I find myself hosting and managing a few small databases for the applications I wrote for my clients. Ihave tried to figure out how to set up backup for them, at one point even had the RedGate license for the backup program (maybe still do, it was hard to use when I had it). There's no reasonable GUI for setting up backups, as far as I can figure. Command line stuff is so 1980's.

If you are looking for someone to do this free lance and don't mind someone who would work nights/weekends (I have a full time day job, but need to find part time work)ping me via PM.

• I would like to see developpers and DBA's in thought of building a house.

the developper is the constructor, the DBA responsible for the fundations and construction plan

if both only would know their task, it is possible the house is build correct but those who built a house know that in practice many things change, go wrong along the way.

So both should know a bit of the others work to undestand problems and construct together to an optimal solution.

PS try to map a software project and their crew to building a house and the different people who make that house. I think somewhere a DBA can be mapped to a special constructor.

I din't made out the whole mapping yet but when I try to explain something to my customer and map it to building a house he mostly (99%) understands what I want to say.

• geert.bens (4/29/2011)

I would like to see developpers and DBA's in thought of building a house.

the developper is the constructor, the DBA responsible for the fundations and construction plan

if both only would know their task, it is possible the house is build correct but those who built a house know that in practice many things change, go wrong along the way.

So both should know a bit of the others work to undestand problems and construct together to an optimal solution.

PS try to map a software project and their crew to building a house and the different people who make that house. I think somewhere a DBA can be mapped to a special constructor.

I din't made out the whole mapping yet but when I try to explain something to my customer and map it to building a house he mostly (99%) understands what I want to say.

I'd equate database developers to the guys who build the foundation, framework, and roof for the building. If that part is done wrong, it will be a constant source of trouble for whatever else is built on top of it.

The application developers are the guys who install the wiring, put up the sheet rock, and lay the wall paper. If the function of the building needs to change or the new tenant has different taste in decor, they can always tear down that part and start over.

DBAs are like the maintenance and security crew who keep everything clean, safe, and in functional order.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply