what will happen if clustered index is dropped.

• hi,

one table .

2 indexes.(a-cluster,b-noncluster)

i fire a query name c which normally uses the b index cause it has created a execution plan which it reuses it if its in the cache.

now a is dropped and noncluster index is not rebuild.

so what will the optimiser do..

1.will it create a new execution plan and scan the whole table as it has become a heap.

2.use the same plan which uses b index.

• If a clustered index is dropped, then the nonclustered index, which points to rows using the clustered key, will no longer be valid, and will need to be rebuilt. This will happen automatically, unless you disable the nonclustered index first (you'll still need to rebuild it before it can be used though).

So, in your scenario, the nonclustered index will be rebuilt automatically, and so will be available for use in your query.

• will the optimiser create a new execution plan or it will use the same one.

• All execution plans for that table will be invalidated when the clustered index goes, so yes, a new plan will be generated.

• what if i again create the cluster index.what will happen then.

• The same thing, in reverse.

The creation of the cluster will force a rebuild of all nonclustered indexes on the table. Any execution plans using that table will be invalidated.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • sql will generate a new plan since the index that was there isnt there anymore

=========

http://lloydom.blogspot.com/

• so execution plans which r there in cache are of no use when we rebuilt indexes.

then is it ok if i clear the cache after this process(rebuilding indexes).will it matter.

• azadsale (7/13/2010)

so execution plans which r there in cache are of no use when we rebuilt indexes.

Execution plans that depended on those indexes.

then is it ok if i clear the cache after this process(rebuilding indexes).will it matter.

Why would you want to do that?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Can you explain what you are doing or thinking here? Is this an interview question of some sort?

• azadsale (7/13/2010)

so execution plans which r there in cache are of no use when we rebuilt indexes.

When dropping/building indexes execution plans that reference the base table will be invalidated meaning a new execution of one of such queries will trigger the recalculation of a brand new execution plan.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • no ....

i just wanna clear my doubt.i have a interest in this section.thats all.

are my questions that stupid ?

• The questions are not stupid, but it appears that you're asking about things without really doing much research, or you're making leaps that don't make sense. Why would you look at clearing the cache? It would help if you explained why you think things, or why you are asking the question rather than just randomly asking about things.

• yes ...it makes sense.i got to research first and if its still not clear i can post it.

thanks steve.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply