What type of Replication should i use?

• ok here's the scenario ... (takes a deep breath)

Main production server: has our main database for serval internal programs.

enter new program (we custom built for a member of management team)

it has to be able to go on the road, well we don't allow our database to talk with others, so the solution is to give the laptop SQL express with the tables needed to run program, switch connection strings as needed (ie out of office or in office)

which type of replication do i need?

From reading on MSDN sites i think i want a merge replication cause it's on demand, but does it go both ways? I what to have the Main tell express all new chages before management leaves and when management comes back it has to upload back to the main with all changes and merge with any changes made while said person was gone. I just want to be sure i am on the right track before spending time on this.

thanks in advance. 😎

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue; it rather denotes a lack of courage.
    -Practical Magic[/font]

• Hi,

SQL Server Express Edition does not support Merge Replicaiton.

Go thrugh the below URL,

Fetures of SQL Express

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165616(SQL.90).aspx

Replication in SQL Express

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms165700(SQL.90).aspx

Rajesh Kasturi

• the Main SQL server is SQL Server Management Studio 2005 (full server) it would be the publisher. the express would be the subcription.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Being "normal" is not necessarily a virtue; it rather denotes a lack of courage.
    -Practical Magic[/font]

• You should you Merge and Yes SQL Express can be subscriber to either Transactional, Snapshot or Merge.

By the way your server version is retrieved by running "select @@version" on the Main Server.

* Noel

• Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.1399.06 (Intel X86) Oct 14 2005 00:33:37 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 1)

and thank you. Helps alot. me and my team are playing with our test server to learn how to set it up. thank you for taking the time to help us out. 🙂

-Practical Magic[/font]

• you should also patch your version( 9.00.1399 ) is RTM you should patch SQL Server ( SP3 is already out )

* Noel

• neold gave answer already, but so that you have a second opinion...I agree, merge is the way you want to go based on the scenario you just described.

This shouldn't be a big deal, but be aware that when you go with merge replication the articles (tables) that are replicated will need a uniqueidentifier column that will be created when you add your first subscriber to the publication at the publisher.

Kendal Van Dyke
    http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/[/url]

• yes i found that out already. we are now testing to be sure that the extra column is not gonna mess with the program we are building. fun fun. thanks for the heads up.

-Practical Magic[/font]

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply