What tools should developers use to work in SQL Server?

• This may be an intuitively obvious question, and if so, I apologize.

Speaking in terms of best practices here, what is the preferred method for allowing developers to work with databases in SQL Server? If they use Management Studio, then they have access to tools for perhaps messing with other databases, etc. that they should not (assuming it is not correctly secured). Likewise with Enterprise Manager. I can see where they would use Query Analyzer, but these two are now combined in Management Studio.

I'm just inquiring into how other DBA's do this. I realize there are DBA's that are developers and vice-versa, but what if there is a clear line of distinction and you want to keep the tools used in these roles separate?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

• " (assuming it is not correctly secured). "

Well thats the key! No matter what they use if you do not have the databases properly secured then of course they can/will mess around with stuff they shouldnt

Give developers the minimum amount of privileges they need to do their job.

Create a Domain group called developers, all developers are in it. Grant access to sql using the domain group, and give them the required privileges.

If they need dbo, then you will need to do backups often

• I'll take Ray's suggestion 1 step further... Don't let the developer's even see the production database... create a developer's database as a "snapshot" of production, give them dbo privs to the developer's database, and let them do their job.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply