What to backup ?

• Well, this may be a silly question. Basically, I know i have to backup *.bak and *.trn files. Do I have to backup *.mdf and *.ldf ? For a dedicated SQL server, should I backup C driver (holding all SQL binary files) as well ?

• Hi

You need to backup the things you like to restore in case of an amergency. It seems that you have diskbackups of your databases, made with a maintenance plan. It is a good idea to copy those files on your backupdevice. The MDF and LDF files are the db files (in use by SQL) and you've already made a backup copy (in the BAK / TRN files).

It makes sense that you have a backup of your whole system.

Furthermore I would suggest that you try to make yourself familiar with SQL backup / restore and you should create and test a recovery plan.

JP

• To answer your question about if you should backup the SQL binary files ... you need to decide what your restore strategy will be.  If your server goes down, will you have time to re-install the operating system, SQL Server, and any other apps that might be loaded on the server?  Or, will you be required to have a quick turn around time (in such case, ensuring that you have a full backup of the C drive that you can rely on is a good idea).

Have a good day,

Norene Malaney

• It depend on your requirement and the cost you can afford.

Step1: It s better to decide a recovery plan for all the databases and then generate a backplan for each databases aligning with the plan.

Step2 : All the back ups should be backed up on a remote location [Say on tape] for a DRR

Step 3: Full backup of C$ is a good idea for a fast restore in case of sys failure. But u need to ensure that all the other drives are fine where the data / logs are spanned

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply