What kind of technology should i use?

• TheSQLGuru - Wednesday, August 23, 2017 2:12 PM

miguelv06 - Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:59 AM

TheSQLGuru - Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:45 AM

miguelv06 - Wednesday, August 23, 2017 9:30 AM

On the test i have done mirroring takes 2-3 seconds... But i can live with 30 seconds... I will try this and see how it goes.

If you want SIMPLE, I would stick with mirroring honestly. Works fine and is pretty bullet-proof (Always On has had a LOT OF BUGS AND STILL MORE ARE GETTING FIXED WITH VIRTUALLY EVERY CU). 

What is your concern over having a "witness server"? That can be a free version of SQL Express.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/database-mirroring/database-mirroring-witness

Yes all i want is simple but reliable

Why is it that you think a witness server for classic database mirroring isn't reliable?

Just another server to keep up, and this system wont be monitored so it needs to be as simple as possible and sometimes adding another computer makes it a bit more complex... just thinking outloud

• Adding a witness server to database mirroring is FAR LESS risky, difficult, problematic, BUGGY, etc., etc. than a Failover Cluster Instance and Always On Availability Group. 

Anyway, best of luck with whatever you choose to pursue. Given your statements about this being a critical 24/7 system, I sure hope you have more in the works than just what we have covered here to make sure your application is as reliable as it needs to be.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• I thought mirroring was deprecated in SQL Server 2012... even though it still seems to be functioning in 2016.

• Chris Harshman - Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:49 AM

I thought mirroring was deprecated in SQL Server 2012... even though it still seems to be functioning in 2016.

Who cares if it is deprecated? Profiler has been deprecated for a VERY long time, but I promise you I will still be using it 17 years from now because it is supported in 2016 (prolly 2017 too but haven't checked) and I still have clients on SQL 2000 which is 17 years ago. 😎

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply