What are the Party Plans?

• Steve,

Have you started planning your on-line party for when you hit 1,000,000 subscribers? You are only a little over 5,000 from the magic number!

• BWAA-HAA!!! I'll bring some eats... everyone like pork chops? πŸ˜›

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Fish, we gotta have fish too (even though I don't eat fish).

• We already have enough mixed nuts.

• I need to talk about that now that I'm here in Cambridge. I've let it go with a lot of other stuff to do, but we'll give away some stuff. Lots of shirts likely to be leaving my basement soon!

I'd definitely welcome suggestions.

• Mmmmmm... tasty... expensive, but tasty.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Party Time is getting closer! Less than 1500 new subscribers are needed!!!

• Where do you see the 1,000,000 number?

At the bottom of the main Forums page I see this:

Board Statistics

760,819 members have posted 518,208 posts within 118,891 topics.

It's a big number, but far from a million.

• Michael Valentine Jones (1/26/2009)

Where do you see the 1,000,000 number?

Board Statistics

SSC's Home Page, at the top.

• Lynn Pettis (1/26/2009)

Michael Valentine Jones (1/26/2009)

Where do you see the 1,000,000 number?

Board Statistics

SSC's Home Page, at the top.

I wonder why there is a difference from what is posted on the forums main page?

The number from the forums page is obviously not just people that have posted on the forums, since it is greater that the total number of forum posts.

I smell a scandal. SSC has been pumping the numbers to charge advertisers more, but they forgot about the forums page. πŸ˜€

• I don't have any pork chops for the arsenal. So, they work. T-Shirts are good as always. Of course for us cold weather folks some cool SSC beanies would be nice. You could hand them out on the slopes Steve and call it marketing. Think they will give you some budget for the travel and all the extra OT you will have to put in for that? Might be a good thing to discuss while in Cambridge. πŸ™‚

David

@SQLTentmaker

β€œHe is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Why would you say that? The number of members that have posted on the forums is much lower than the total number of members shown on the home page. This is totally possible. Not everyone who joins is going to post. You could easily have many forum lurkers who just read the posts.

Many people who post may only have one or two posts, unlike those in the top 25 posters on the site.

• Lynn Pettis (1/26/2009)

Why would you say that? The number of members that have posted on the forums is much lower than the total number of members shown on the home page. This is totally possible. Not everyone who joins is going to post. You could easily have many forum lurkers who just read the posts.

Many people who post may only have one or two posts, unlike those in the top 25 posters on the site.

I think you are missing the point of what I was saying. This is what the forum page had:

Obviously, if there are only 518,208 posts, then a maximum of only 518,208 people could have posted them. So the 760,819 members can't represent only people that have posted on the forums, so what does it represent? I always assumed that it represented the total members, but then why is there a 240,000 member difference from the home page?

Not a big deal, but what do the number really mean?

• Hmm, never notice the difference, but here's why.

We used to build the site around the forum members table in the database. So early on when you registered in the early days, we added a row to the Snitz forums table and later the Instant Forums table. That way we could use their security and we built the site around that.

When the site was re-written two years ago, the developers took a different tact. they saw the forums as an "add on" to the site, along with blogs, and other parts. So we had a central "registration" database, actually a separate database where everyone gets a row when they register.

We then have separate databases (one for forums, one for blogs, one for the content side), and if you do something in those areas, the needed information gets copied over. So there are lots of people that have rows in the central db, but if they haven't posted in the forums, they don't have a row in there.

That's the disparity.

The front page is people that have registered on the site. That's the number we use for tracking the popularity of the site.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply