What are the different types of errors in sql server ?

• Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Ravi:)

• view the catalog sys.mesages, that should give you some idea

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• ravi@sql (4/18/2012)

Three categories...

1- "I do not give a rats a$$" kind of error (warnings)

2- "wtf?!" kind of errors (errors that have to be investigated)

3- "omg!" kind of errors (errors that make your palms sweat)

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • Refer to:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms164086.aspx

For a full listing and expanded explanation of error messages.

Depending of what you mean by type it could be "System defined" / "User defined" or "Fatal" / "Non Fatal"

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Informational, bad ones, and really bad ones.

Can you narrow down what it is that you're looking for? There are all sorts of possible errors, so knowing more about what it is you actually need will help to get a better answer.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• you could maybe classify the errors by the effect they have. maybe the error can display a warning, terminate a statement, terminate an entire batch, or even drop the connection.

Alternatively, maybe you can classify the error according to its effect on an enclosing transaction, ie., does it cause the enclosing transaction to roll back.

• Thank you all ,

Its one of the interview question which is fired to me ....

I said Aithrmetic overflow error,Syntax error, constrains like foreign key violation .. etc.

But he was not much happy with my answer .. so i wanna know the correct one...

Regards,

Ravi:)

• That's a weak question. I'd want to know what the interviewer meant by that, whether they were looking for error levels or what? They must have something particular in mind.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Maybe they were looking for severities, maybe they were looking for error behaviours, maybe they were looking for the points at which errors can occur during query execution. Can't say. Would have needed clarification from the interviewer.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply