What a drag! Copying tables in 2005...a real backset!

• More and more I am getting to work with SQL 2005, and I am not happy at all. My latest grief: copying tables, the Import/Export wizard. I realize this is a DTS function and DTS is replaced by SSIS. I cannot quickly copy tables with a few mouseclicks, if I wish to use SSIS functionality I have to open VS... I know, I can use T-SQL for simple copies, or even complex copies, but it's a setback, a graphical tool being replaced by 3GL scripting.

The whole seperation of DTS/SSIS from SQL Server is really going too far IMO. We had an Integrated Databasemanagement Environment, and they pulled it apart. For instance, for editing a SSIS package you have to leave SQL Server UI and open up VS, find your way to the SSIS package on the server, where it is stored and hope feverishly I have sufficient access and can open/edit/save the package. Easiest thing to do most times is to create a new project and copy the package to it...

It would be very nice if SSIS packages could be opened from SSMS interface. I'm thinking of making a webpage to display all used SSIS packages, after which clicking on them will open VS with the package loaded automatically. But it is a shame I have to make my own UI to do this, while we had perfectly working functionality like that in SQL2K.

Anybody knows if there are plans to remedy this?

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• No reason to be desappointed. In SSMS click on View then  Solution Explorer. Then Add your other solutions.

• why not just use bcp?  to me it's much nicer than either ssis or dts for moving large amounts of data around.  but then i dislike the GUI...

---------------------------------------
    elsasoft.org

• I found that when I right click on the database, I saw the familiar "Export / Import /Data" that allows the selection of multiple tables...

• Right...Never thought of actually trying... I just thought: oh, it's completely seperated, so...

Have to try that! Tnx.

Greetz,
    Hans Brouwer

• Well, you can use it to import tables, but you lose all of your keys, indexes, triggers, etc., so I haven't found it to be very useful. They took away the third option from SQL Server 2000 in the "Specify Table Copy or Query" part of the import dialog where you could copy tables and it would keep your keys and other things associated with the tables.

Just didn't want you to get your hopes up too high...I've been struggling with this change as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply