Weird Conversion Problem

• I have a simple select statement that looked like this

select top 1000 convert(varchar(30), convert(money, isnull(sum(shippingcost),0))) as "Total Navigation" from dbo.NavAttempts

This worked in the past but all of a sudden I start getting the error "Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type money".

The data type of the cost column is "money". I have tried all sorts of casting and converting mixture and still get the error. What other possible reasons could there be for this error? Thanks

• Strange. any chance the SUM is larger than a MONEY datatype can hold?

Why convert money to money?

select top 1000 convert(varchar(30), coalesce(sum(shippingcost),$0.0)) as "Total Navigation"

from dbo.NavAttemptsAlso, why convert money to varchar?

• still getting the same error, I wonder what is going on, the money to money and varchar conversion are for formatting and reporting purposes ( i know i know let the front end handle that :-D). Thanks for your help though!

• Check the data, run this:

select top 1000

shippingcost

from

dbo.NavAttempts

• Hey Lynn, thanks for the help. I checked the data already, it has some nulls in it. Coalesce and isnull should fix this, tried both but still getting the same error.

Arithmetic overflow error converting expression to data type money.

Warning: Null value is eliminated by an aggregate or other SET operation.

This is extremely strange!!

• Remove the convert to money from the code, to see the real total for those 1000 rows, it might be more than what a money field can hold?

Cheers,

J-F

• I know what the problem is. Here is your code:

select top 1000

convert(varchar(30), convert(money, isnull(sum(shippingcost),0))) as "Total Navigation"

from

dbo.NavAttempts

The problem is that the TOP 1000 does not restrict the SUM to the first 1000 records from dbo.NavAttempts. It is summing shippingcost from all the rows in dbo.NavAttempts.

• I don't think it helps your particular issue, but you could change the order of COALESE and SUM to get rid of that warning message:select top 1000 convert(varchar(30), sum(coalesce(shippingcost,$0.0))) as "Total Navigation"

from dbo.NavAttempts

Is the table you are quering actually a view?

• Thanks for the suggestion. I even did the real total for the top 2 only..surely the figures can't be bigger than money datatype. What makes it even stranger is that the same syntax worked before and stopped working all of a sudden.

• This is truly a very strange scenario, I have tried all the codes and I still get the same error, the one with the coalesce did eliminate the WARNING error though but I have no clue why this is happening. I appreciate all the help guys. I think it's time to probe and ask who changed what !!

• Try this:

with MyNavAttempts as (

select top 1000

isnull(shippingcost,0.00) as shippingcost

from

dbo.NavAttempts

)

select

sum(shippingcost)

from

MyNavAttempts;

• Hey Lynn, the CTE was actually a nice way to get it to work. I also noticed something strange with this as well. If I select top 1000, i get a value no error

with MyNavAttempts as (

select top 1000

from

dbo.NavAttempts

)

select

sum(shippingcost)

from

MyNavAttempts;

If I just select everything, I get the Arithmetic overflow error again.

with MyNavAttempts as (

select isnull(shippingcost,0.00) as shippingcost

from

dbo.NavAttempts

)

select

sum(shippingcost)

from

MyNavAttempts;

Now for the strange part, if I select top 10000000000000 (i don't have that many rows), I get no errors. It is very mind boggling. But thanks for the great idea.

with MyNavAttempts as (

select top 1000000000000000000

from

dbo.NavAttempts

)

select

sum(shippingcost)

from

MyNavAttempts;

• Lynn Pettis (9/2/2009)

I know what the problem is. Here is your code:

select top 1000

convert(varchar(30), convert(money, isnull(sum(shippingcost),0))) as "Total Navigation"

from

dbo.NavAttempts

The problem is that the TOP 1000 does not restrict the SUM to the first 1000 records from dbo.NavAttempts. It is summing shippingcost from all the rows in dbo.NavAttempts.

Ahh, yeah. I bet that is the issue..

Try changing it to something like:SELECT

convert(varchar(30), sum(shippingcost)) as "Total Navigation"

FROM

(

select top 1000

COALESCE(shippingcost, $0.00) as shippingcost

from

dbo.NavAttempts

) AS TEDIT: Doh.. I didn't see there was a second page...:-D

• Hey guys, I have a question about money data types, if his "shippingcost" is to large to be held by the "money" data type what is a better (bigger) option for a data type to hold money?

• iruagawal (9/3/2009)

Hey guys, I have a question about money data types, if his "shippingcost" is to large to be held by the "money" data type what is a better (bigger) option for a data type to hold money?

Decimal (or Numeric) would work. Some people prefer to use Decimal because of a potential math issue with Money data if you are doing a lot of math on the data.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply