Ways to minimize sort operations

• there were a few times i changed the sort order of indexes to make things a bit faster. when you can't spend $6000 on extra storage because all the internal hard drive bays are full but you need to optimize I/O performance you look at every little thing.

i'm waiting for the SSD server drives to get cheaper to try them out by putting tempdb on them

• alen teplitsky (9/15/2010)

there were a few times i changed the sort order of indexes to make things a bit faster. when you can't spend $6000 on extra storage because all the internal hard drive bays are full but you need to optimize I/O performance you look at every little thing.

i'm waiting for the SSD server drives to get cheaper to try them out by putting tempdb on them

After playing with SSDs for tempdb, I've concluded it's best to make all drives SSDs to get the max bang for the migration. Just tempDB seems to be an awfully small improvement for the level of disruption on the main box. On the other hand, for external raids and such, SSDs can be slowly implemented as prices come down.

• the enterprise SSD's are something like $7000 for 200GB or so. forgot the exact numbers from the HP branded ones. a 146GB hard drive is less than $300. for the data i can buy up a lot of hard drives to spit the IO up. the new Proliant G7's support up to 16 hard drives in a 2U server

• Nice article - thanks. Good examples.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• A more efficient and clean way to do it is on client side

Bouarroudj Mohamed

http://www.sqldbtools.com

• Good intro article. The next time if you can add larger data sets to query where there might be issues such as memory pressure, IO, etc. A few hundred records seems too small to base decision in a production environment.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply