VPN Woes

• Fortinet seem quite nice - they have the same features on all of the boxes however big or small including their wireless boxes.  You can just swicth on/off the features you want and licence them.

Astaro boxes are pretty good to - also configurable via a web GUI so easier to deal with than the PIX

• Smoothwall linux, http://www.smoothwall.org, is very easy to configure and deploy as a soho firewall with vpn capability. It uses IPsec for point to point vpn configurations. Very easy to set up in a web gui as right and left side connections. It will connect to another smoothwall fw or any IPsec compliant device. I've got it running just dandy on an old dell P-1 90MHz with 32 Mb RAM and 250 Mb hard drive. That's right, 250 Meg. The footprint of the os is about 40 Mb. Of course, the beefier the box the better, but it runs just fine bare bones.

• If you plan to use client digital certificates and create a domain link to your active directory accounts I would suggest you stay away from the Sonicwall SSL VPN device as I have been trying to get it to work for 3 months with openssl. I got 4 client digital certificates to work in testing but now I can't create any additional client digital certificates that the Sonicwall SSLVPN device will accept.

• Has anyone tried the Netopia 3366 VPN router?

• It turns out that the problem I was experiencing was a bug in the Sonicwall SSL VPN device. If an Active Directory account had a # symbol in the password field then the authentication would fail and the error made it look like the Digital Certificate was the problem but the Digital Certificate was fine. Therefore, my SSL VPN device solution from Sonicwall is working fine now as long as the user remembers that they can't have a # symbol in their password.

• That's a lovely feature all around.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply