Visual SourceSafe opinions wanted

• Didn't see a good place to post this so I thought the dev section would be my best bet.

We are considering VSS as source control and our shop is heavily slanted away from most anything with Microsoft on it.   Although we are .Net / SQL server / Exchange as our platforms there is considerable resistance to Microsoft.  I know, a strange coupling...

Does anyone have reservations about using VSS as an enterprise source control? 

BTW:  I worked at Microsoft for many years and used VSS without any issues but, I need some additional comments outsid my own.

TIA

• Take a look at the new versions, especially with Team Foundation Server. You can find more info at:

Team Foundation Server Team Center

and

VSTeamSystemCentral

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I have never had an issue with VSS, but I've always used it with relatively small single-location programming teams.  When you say you want "enterprise" source control, you may have requirements that I haven't experienced.  If someone has a specific issue that VSS doesn't handle well, look at the new Team version to see if that issue has been addressed.

For example, security might be one objection the current VSS.  You can grant user-project permissions inside VSS, but a user who can check files in to a single project can browse, modify, or delete files in any project outside of VSS with Windows Explorer.  The new Team Studio version is based on SQL Server instead of the file system, and is much more secure.

I've seen a lot of cases where people get in trouble by not using it correctly, such as failing to get the latest version before checking something out for editing, not knowing how to share items between projects correctly, fill up the disk by checking in huge binary objects, etc.  Is there a source control product anywhere that's completely idiot-proof?  There are other source control products out there, but I can't remember seeing VSS lose or corrupt a file (aside from user error) in the 10+ years I've been using it.

• I have seen VSS corrupt an entire repository (without user error), but that was back in 1999. The product has advanced quite a bit since then.

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Renaming files is a big problem with VSS. If you rename a source file all previous versions of the file are renamed too.

Nils

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply