Vista - SQL Server 2005 installation of Reporting Services

• I have just set up a new development client machine running Vista Business with a fresh installation of SQL Server 2005 Standard edition.

I have selected all components as part of the install which worked 100%.

However, i noticed when i installed that the Reporting Services tick box was greyed out and does not appear to exist in my set up?

I've seen this KB article which indicates you need to install IIS first and turn on ASP.NET, etc... which will then allow RS to be selected during installation.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934164

I have NOT installed IIS on my machine. Can anyone tell me if this is the correct way to install Reporting Services on Vista?

BTW, I have installed SQL Server 2005 Standard edition from the Action pack subscription. I trust RS is part of this package?

• WIth SQL Server 2005 you need to have IIS installed in order to install reporting Services. Install IIS and then re-run your SQL Server setup and you should be able to install SSRS.

• The SQL Server 2005 installer by default disables SSRS if IIS with Windows authentication is not running that is the reason the support article shows Vista editions you can use. So as Jack said install IIS and rerun setup, I know because I had to do that a while back.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• Thanks to both of you. That is exactly the simple answer i was looking for.

I assume IIS 7.0 is the way to go as i will be using this machine to learn ASP.NET development.

Thanks for the tips.

• If you need SSRS 2005 you need to configure IIS 7 in IIS 6 mode because there are features in IIS 6 you need that are not in IIS 7.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

• I'd prefer to install IIS 6 to match another production server currently running so i assume i can download that and install onto Vista Business.

Thanks again.

• IIS is a Windows component so it is not available for download so all you can do is configure IIS 7 in 6 compatibility mode which is what the support article will do for you. That is IIS is needed by all Asp.net developers so I don't think Microsoft will make it downloadable.

Kind regards,
    Gift Peddie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply