Virutal Names for a Cluster

• Because you cannot create an object in AD that already exists, and as such the installation will fail.

Edit:That said: If you WERE able to install multiple instances in one cluster group and only use one network name, you still would not want to. Any error in any single instance causing a failover, would cause all instances to fail over. So, an error in one instance would cause downtime in all other instances in the same cluster group because of this configuration. With each instance in its own cluster group however, an error affecting a single instance will cause that instance to fail over, whereas all the other instances will be left unaffeected. The whole point of a cluster is to maintain availability.

Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - Facebook - Twitter

Concatenating Row Values in Transact-SQL[/url]

• Right, I'm with you now. Thanks very much for your help. I'll feed this back to the boss and the network guy and see what they have to say.

You wouldn't happen to have tested this yourself in a LAB environment would you and got the error message that occurs in the installer? 😉

• As far as I remember, you get an error message like "The SQL Server failover cluster instance name 'YourServerName' already exists as a server on the network."

Ole Kristian Velstadbråten Bangås - Virinco - Facebook - Twitter

Concatenating Row Values in Transact-SQL[/url]

• Thanks again okbangas & ps.

• Virtual network names, like computernames must be unique in the domain.

One clustered instance to one network name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks for your help guys.

Turned out he wanted multiple sql instances installed in the same resource group. I didn't think this was even possible. Am I missing something here, is that possible? :crazy:

• PhilipC (9/15/2011)

Thanks for your help guys.

Turned out he wanted multiple sql instances installed in the same resource group. I didn't think this was even possible. Am I missing something here, is that possible? :crazy:

Only one SQL Instance per resource group.

When you install sql server failover cluster, a new resource group is created.

Pradeep Singh

• ps. (9/15/2011)

PhilipC (9/15/2011)

Thanks for your help guys.

Only one SQL Instance per resource group.

When you install sql server failover cluster, a new resource group is created.

Yes exactly what I thought. Thanks for confirming that.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply