View Hints (?)

• Hi,

I have a performance issue that I am trying to troubleshoot. The problematic sql does the following:

SELECT SiteIdx FROM v_Network WHERE SiteIdx In (Select NodeID from v_LatestRelease)

Please note I also had a proper join of the above but for the purposes of troubleshooting am working with the above statement. The thing that is bugging me is that the statement runs at 1:15 seconds. Running

SELECT SiteIdx FROM v_Network takes about 1 second as does the (Select NodeID from v_LatestRelease).

A collegue suggested that SQL is trying to do some view optimizations (combining the views) but recalls there being some hints that would prevent that from happening. Is there a hint that would do that? All other ideas or suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks!

Olja

• I strongly suggest NOT using hints in views !

That may prevent optimal paths when used with other queries !

Rewrite your query to e.g.:

SELECT SiteIdx

FROM v_Network N

WHERE exists (Select 1

from v_LatestRelease V where V.NodeId = N.SiteIdx )

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Your colleague may be thinking about the NOEXPAND hint. That's onlty useful if you have indexed views and a version of SQL other than enterprise.

I would not recommend the use of hints, except as a last resort. Run your query and have a look at the execution plan, see what SQL's doing. That should give you some clues as to how to fix it.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I never understand why it's assummed that a simple query from a view ( which is probably complex ) will work well. Forget your views and expand the query into the actual real tables and queries to see where you can improve the query. as suggested have a good look at the query plan.

It may have been a suggestion of using indexed views, as thes ematerialise the data then your queries will improve , usually.

I can't see what hints you could give your query, however you can hint views with plan guides.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• This has been an very insightful problem to have. Next time we'll keep in mind the performance penalty of combining the views. As it turns out the culprit was a function in a where clause which tested for a column value. Rather than saying StatusID <> 30, a function was used to encapsulate this test: dbo.IsFinalizedStatus(StatusID)=0!

That added over a minute to the whole operation! Changing it back to a simple test solved the problem. More info on this can be found at: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL+Optimization/61809/

Thanks a lot!

Olja

• Olja (2/28/2008)

This has been an very insightful problem to have. Next time we'll keep in mind the performance penalty of combining the views. As it turns out the culprit was a function in a where clause which tested for a column value. Rather than saying StatusID <> 30, a function was used to encapsulate this test: dbo.IsFinalizedStatus(StatusID)=0!

That added over a minute to the whole operation! Changing it back to a simple test solved the problem. More info on this can be found at: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL+Optimization/61809/

Thanks a lot!

Olja

When post here asking for help, you should post the actual code you are having trouble with.

How could you expect any meaningful help when you posted a completely different piece of code?

• it's not easy to always post code - there is client/employer confidentiality and do you really want to read a couple of hundred lines of code anyway?

Inline functions are a killer and can sometimes be difficult to track down - I'd personally like to shoot some of the people who have posted implementations of lookups using functions instead of a table or implementing constants using functions who turn set based queries into REBAR ! And I wish I'd been paid a $ or £ for each I've found as I'd be quite a bit richer.

But hey we've given some help, without the code, and that's what is important.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• colin Leversuch-Roberts (2/25/2008)

I never understand why it's assummed that a simple query from a view ( which is probably complex ) will work well. Forget your views and expand the query into the actual real tables and queries to see where you can improve the query. as suggested have a good look at the query plan.

Well said, Colin... and good advice to boot!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply