VERY EASY FOR YOU GUYS

• I put this in the run box

sqlservr.exe -f

and it doesn't start

-WM

• What files are there in the E:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\ directory?

Open a command prompt. (not the run dialog)

type

sqlservr.exe -f

If it gives an error or anything else strange, post the exact error message. Make sure that you've stopped the service before doing this. Do that from Enterprise manager or the service control manager. Doesn't matter which, just make sure that the SQL service is stopped.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I'm going to have to leave it here, it's past midnight. I'm sure someone wlse will be able to help.

Once you get SQL running from the the command line, open a query window (query analyser or osql) and run the following.

ALTER DATABASE tempdb

MODIFY FILE (NAME = templog, FILENAME = < Location of the tempDB log file > )

NB, the command line stuff has to be run on the server itself.

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• sqlservr.exe -f

errors out with

sqlservr.exe -f is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file

• Just to check, you are running that on the server?

Find where the exec is. I don't know your dir structure. Something like this

C:\Program Files\SQL Server\MSSQL\MSSQL\Binn

Change to that dir and you should be able to run it.

Gail Shaw

• I'm on the correct machine. I change the command prombpt over to d and ran the sqlservr.exe - f

and got the same message as the previous one

-WM

• Is there any way to specify that the mdf files is the primary file and to add and additional log file?

-wm

• williamminor (10/15/2008)

I'm on the correct machine. I change the command prombpt over to d and ran the sqlservr.exe - f

and got the same message as the previous one

Are you working in the directory that has the sqlservr.exe file? If not, find that exe and change to that directory in the command prompt, then run the command.

Is there any way to specify that the mdf files is the primary file and to add and additional log file?

That's what I'm trying to help you do. SQL has to be started with -f first.

Gail Shaw

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply