verifying after production data migration

• Dear Experts,

We are migrating the Production database from one SQL server 2005 to shared SQL server 2008 environment by backing up and restoring technique.

For this purpose i want to confirm the all the data has been successfully transferred,can somebody advice the kind of report which i can check like filesize,datarows count,number of files.(Any query will be helpful)

Any thing which is critical as part of the production database verification after migration will be helpful.

I need to give justification and proof to owner data has been migrated properly.

Thanks,

Gangadhara MS

SQL Developer and DBA

• what are all the things we need to check for after the migration,..any query will be helpful.

• Here is a query to return the row counts for every user table in the database:

select s.name schema_name,

t.name table_name,

sum(rows) row_count

from sys.schemas s inner join

sys.tables t on s.schema_id = t.schema_id inner join

sys.partitions p on t.object_id = p.object_d

and p.index_id <= 1

group by s.name, t.name

• Gangadhara MS (11/9/2011)

Dear Experts,

We are migrating the Production database from one SQL server 2005 to shared SQL server 2008 environment by backing up and restoring technique.

For this purpose i want to confirm the all the data has been successfully transferred,can somebody advice the kind of report which i can check like filesize,datarows count,number of files.(Any query will be helpful)

Any thing which is critical as part of the production database verification after migration will be helpful.

I need to give justification and proof to owner data has been migrated properly.

Thanks,

Gangadhara MS

SQL Developer and DBA

With a backup/restore (FULL) it is impossible that your data that is contained within said database is not all there. Otherwise backups would be untrustable in general and that isn't the case.

You DO need to make sure you follow the guidance for database version upgrades and do the things you need to do for that - one of the most important and most often missed is updating EVERY statistic in the database with a FULL SCAN stats update.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply