Variable returning * instead of an error

• First post here so be kind.

I ran across and interesting issue today. Thought I would share it with the community.

This query was run against a database on 2008 SP3 and 2012 SP2

Here is an example of what I ran

Declare @A_number varchar(5)

Select Top 1 Column_Is_an_int = @A_number

From Our_Main_Table

Where A_Database_Name = 'A database with many records in this table and multiple records in the Column_is_an_int some are more than 5 characters'

Select @A_number

Exec My_Stored_Proc @A_Nmuber

The top result for that database had an integer that was 8 characters including the - sign.

When the query ran I would normally expect it to throw the binary data cannot be truncated error. However in this case it returned a * in the variable which then tried to pass it in to the SP which of course threw a fit.

Once I changed the varchar(5) to varchar(50) it worked perfectly.

I am not sure if this is a known error but I thought I would share my solution just in case any other new DBA's had this happen to them.

Cheers

Dennis

• This is not an error. The * indicates that the value is too large for the currently defined size of the variable.

• Every time in the past I have encountered something like this, i.e. trying to put 10 charcters in a 9 character field. It has throw the binary data cannot be truncated error. Is that not the case for variables then?

PS I am still super new as a dba

• Are you sure you have the right syntax?

Select Top 1 Column_Is_an_int = @A_number from ....

Unless I didn't get enough sleep and/or not enough coffee, this is not assigning a value to the variable, at least, not as I see it.

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Sorry typed it wrong! It is

Select Top 1 @A_number=Column_Is_an_int

From Our_Main_Table

• Your assignment is casting your integer to a varchar. If the result doesn't fit the variable then it will be truncated or rounded.

CAST and CONVERT

If you have a look at the Truncating and Rounding Results it states that for int, smallint and tinyint going to a varchar truncation will result in a *

The following demonstrates the behaviour of a few conversions. Only the last float conversion will error.

DECLARE @var varchar(5)

SELECT @var = 'bob'

print @var

SELECT @var = 'bob and bill'

print @var

SELECT @var = 12345

print @var

SELECT @var = 123456789

print @var

SELECT @var = 12.34

print @var

SELECT @var = 123.45

print @var

If you want to get an error you could try casting you integer to a numeric/decimal before assigning it eg

Select Top 1 @A_number = CAST(Column_Is_an_int AS Numeric(10,0))

From Our_Main_Table

Where A_Database_Name = 'A database with many records in this table and multiple records in the Column_is_an_int some are more than 5 characters'

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply