variable file name in openrowset

• does anyone know if it's possible to pull from a file with a variable name?

the file name is: DUMP_DAILY_SLA_ROLLING_TIMELINES_DLR_20140124

where the date changes daily.

I have

declare @curdate nvarchar(8)

set @curdate = FORMAT(sysdatetime(),'yyyyMMdd')

print @curdate;

SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET('Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0',

'Excel 8.0;Database=c:\users\JL04638\desktop\Data_Dump_Local\DUMP_DAILY_SLA_ROLLING_TIMELINES_DLR_%@curdate%.xls',

'SELECT * FROM [DUMP_DAILY_SLA_ROLLING_TIMELINE$]');

• I don't see any reason why you couldn't create a @FileName variable or similar and just build the string in pieces, and then use it in a loop to process the contents of a directory... You could do it in SSIS, but that's overkill.

• In other words, the OPENROWSET that you've created will need to be converted to Dynamic SQL.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• what do you mean exactly. I can't figure out why what i wrote isn't working. plz hlp.

• Does this work? The SQL returns what I want it to...

DECLARE @sql varchar(1000); -- just a variable to stuff the completed SQL statement into.

declare @curDate nvarchar(8)

declare @filePath VARCHAR(500)

set @curDate = FORMAT(sysdatetime(),'yyyyMMdd')

set @filePath = 'c:\users\JL04638\desktop\Data_Dump_Local\DUMP_DAILY_SLA_ROLLING_TIMELINES_DLR_' + @curDate + '.xls'

set @sql = 'SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET(''Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0'',''Excel 8.0;Database=' + @filePath + '''' + ';' + '''' +

'SELECT * FROM [DUMP_DAILY_SLA_ROLLING_TIMELINE$]' + '''' + ');'

print @sql;

When I run mine, I get this:

SELECT * FROM OPENROWSET('Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0','Excel 8.0;Database=c:\users\JL04638\desktop\Data_Dump_Local\DUMP_DAILY_SLA_ROLLING_TIMELINES_DLR_20140128.xls';'SELECT * FROM [DUMP_DAILY_SLA_ROLLING_TIMELINE$]');

I guess I'm really rusty at T-SQL, because this took me several tries. (In other words, unless you're really good at string manipulation in T-SQL, this isn't that easy. Or if you're new to T-SQL.) Takes a while to get used to.

If this was something I had to do all the time, I might write a function to generate the string - only because it becomes self-contained and I can forget how to use it. (Of course, I would have to break off the customizable pieces and add variables for them...)

• thanks for your help pietlinden...

still can't seem to get it to work so I just wrote a batch file to delete the files date in the title each day in the actual folder.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply