Using variable in a query

• In a stored procedure, when i use variable in the where condition of a query then the performance is very slow. But when i directly subtitute the values, the performance is really good

For eg:

declare @CompID varchar(16),@FinYr varchar(15),@JrlID varchar(10)

set @CompID='BM' 

set @JrlID='CA_P'                                       

set @FinYr='2006-2007'

Select Trans_Header.Company,Journal.JrlID, Trans_Header.TrnDate,Trans_Header.TrnNo FROM         Trans_Header INNER JOIN

Journal ON Trans_Header.CompanyID = Journal.CompanyID AND Trans_Header.Finyear = Journal.FinYear AND Trans_Header.JrlID = Journal.JrlID WHERE Trans_Header.CompanyID=@CompID and Trans_Header.Finyear=@FinYr and Journal.JrlID=@JrlID  

WHen i substitute the variables as

Select Trans_Header.Company,Journal.JrlID, Trans_Header.TrnDate,Trans_Header.TrnNo FROM         Trans_Header INNER JOIN

Journal ON Trans_Header.CompanyID = Journal.CompanyID AND Trans_Header.Finyear = Journal.FinYear AND Trans_Header.JrlID = Journal.JrlID WHERE Trans_Header.CompanyID='BM' and Trans_Header.Finyear='2006-2007' and Journal.JrlID='ca_p'

the query seems to be very faster.

Theres no change in performance when i change Journal.JrlID's value as the datas in Journal table is very less compared to the data in Trans_Header table.
    The Journal table is a master table whereas Trans_Header is a transaction table

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
    Rohini

• What are the datatypes of the clumns:

Trans_Header.CompanyID;

Trans_Header.Finyear;

Journal.JrlID=@JrlID

"Varchar" is not an answer.

• The datatypes as

Trans_header.CompanyID -- varchar(16), Trans_header.Finyear --  varchar(15), Journal.JrlID -- varchar(10)

• You may be running into a problem with Parameter Sniffing. Good details in this article:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming/msg/a61d6b3fd1a32b08?output=gplain

As a workaround, you could try assigning some local variables with the values passed from the variables passed into the SP. I've seen it make a difference.

For example:

CREATE PROCEDURE sp_MyProc

@SPVAR VARCHAR(10)

AS

DECLARE @LOCALVAR VARCHAR(10)

SET @LOCALVAR = @SPVAR

SELECT... etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply