Using Trusted Connections

• How can I setup a trusted connection?

We have a SQL2000 backup with Access 2002 Front-End. We have only used SQL Authentication in the past but now must use Windows as there is a difference in speed in the application(tell me if you know how to fix). We DO NOT have a domain server that people login to(is that a major problem?)

HELP!

Thanks

• I'd seriously disagree about the speed increase ( in real measurable terms ) I'd say you'd struggle without a DC.

notwithstanding the debate about security of the connection method I'd say you're not being told the truth

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• I am trying to the get contractor back in here to look at what's going on as when I change from sql authenication to trusted (by adding guest as an administrator to get around the DC) on the same workstation the speed goes down to 1/20th the speed of trusted.

It is noticeable and will even cause one function to come back and say "out of space" though most of the time it will take forever betweens records just saying "calculating" in the bottom left corner of the active window.

It there is nothing really to account for speed difference in the app, I wonder if the contractor coded it to prefer trusted over sql authenication and makes it fail via trusted first before using sql authenication.

• I'm sorry but it's difficult to say for sure, I don't really have any experience of access - but 11 years sql server says it doesn't sound right! Perhaps another member will have a better idea.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]The GrumpyOldDBA[/font]
    www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
    http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/

• Just wanted to post our findings here to maybe help others. It was an issue with the Access front-end. Created a new mdb, file, import, select all, select all, ...... and them re-linked references etc. Now sql authenication is as fast as trusted connection.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply