Using Top N as a Filter in SSRS

• Does Top N sometimes deliver more than the desired count, for instance if there is a tie?

• Hmm...yes the SELECT TOP WITH TIES returns sometimes more than N values.

It returns all of the lines which have the same value of the ordering column as the one from the N-th line.

But maybe I have not understood the question?

-------------------

StarWind Software developer ( http://www.starwindsoftware.com )

• Thanks. It could be that I don't understand what it should be doing too.

A former collague used it to show the top 10 accounts. The result set is essentially a customer list coming from a stored proc which drives several reports. We have a few RDLs off that set which list and count the reuslts in different ways.

He successfully used a filtered group in a table to show top 10 countries, but I think he got lucky.

My result set filters (top n = 10) the counts down to a month, where I have several groups with the same count:

It seems to work when the results are unique, but shows more than "the top ten" when I have ties within the top set.

Is my understanding right then?

• I've managed it by adding a field in the dataset with a row_number() over(order by ...) statement in it.

And then filter on this newly added field, <= 10.

Works fine...

/Jan

• What do you do when you have a dataset that several items are using, and you want one of the tables to only show the top 20 detail records?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply