Using Parameter in SSIS

• bear with me, started using SSIS just recently, having so much fun :rolleyes:

have a simple package

all i want to do is run a sql script to truncate tables

but i want the

use @productiondb

go

truncate table table1;

truncate table table2;

created a variable, scope is the relevant sequence container

mapped the variable in the sql task editor

got the error

[Execute SQL Task] Error: Executing the query "USE @ProductionDB " failed with the following error: "Parameter name is unrecognized.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

Yes I am aware I can set the database name in the connection string, i am trying to learn how to use variables for more convulated logic.

sonal.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• sonal_anjaria (6/9/2011)

created a variable, scope is the relevant sequence container

mapped the variable in the sql task editor

Not sure what you mean by the above. You've created a variable and mapped it in the SQL Task Editor, but what have you mapped it to?

The code listed above it doesn't seem to set up the variable at all. Is there something missing? Are you mapping an input variable or an output variable?

EDIT: Hang about. I think I see the problem. You tried mapping a database name variable in your Parameters page. The problem is, you need to make your code dynamic SQL now. You can't execute a variable the way you're doing.

You have two options. Option 1

DECLARE @MySQL varchar(50);

SET @MySQL = 'USE ' + @ProductionDB + ' Truncate Table Table1; Truncate Table Table2';

EXECUTE sp_executesql @MySQL;

Or just set a variable, properly scoped to your string, to 'USE MyDB; Truncate Table Table1; Truncate Table Table2;' and put the variable in your config file so you can change the db name at will.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply