Using Mount points in Clustered Environment

• Hi,

We are planning to build a 2 node a/p cluster environment for SQL Server 2008 R2 x64 on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64. For this environment, we want to use Mount points technology.

Questions:

1.Does SQL Server 2008 R2 support mount points?

2.If yes, could you please send me the documents on how to set up mount points on Windows 2008 R2 server and

then configure SQL Server 2008 R2 on top of it?

In current environment, we are facing the Drive letter limitation (25 drives A – Z (C is for OS)) and wan to avoid that limitation in our new configuration, if mount points resolves the drive letter limitation issue.

I really appreciate your inputs on this

Thanks

• I'm not familiar with documentation, but I know you can use mount points in a SQL Server cluster and work it out so each SQL instance has its own drive letter. Let's use ADWorks as an example.

For simplicity I will say there are 3 LUNS for instance 'ADWorks'

1) System - mounted as 'S:'

2) Data - mounted as 'S:\ADWorks\Data'

3) Logs - mounted as 'S:\ADWorks\Logs'

So after SQL is installed, you would see:

S:\ADWorks\MSSQL10_50.ADWorks

S:\ADWorks\Data

S:\ADWorks\Logs

I'm sure there are several solutions. This just happens to be what is implemented in my cluster.

• The doc you are looking for is:

How to configure volume mount points on a Microsoft Cluster Server

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/280297

CEWII

• please advice me on sql server 2008 r2 installation in a clustered environment (Windows server 2008 R2)of having mount points.

I did not any documentation oon this topic. I appreciate your inputs

Thanks

• pshaship (7/21/2011)

Questions:

1.Does SQL Server 2008 R2 support mount points?

2.If yes, could you please send me the documents on how to set up mount points on Windows 2008 R2 server and

then configure SQL Server 2008 R2 on top of it?

In current environment, we are facing the Drive letter limitation (25 drives A – Z (C is for OS)) and wan to avoid that limitation in our new configuration, if mount points resolves the drive letter limitation issue.

1. Yes, it supports mountpoints. In fact we're running a cluster using them.

2. I' don't have a document on how to configure mountpoints, bt if you search around you should find that easily.

One thing you should be aware of is that mountpoints will not help you with the limit of 25 drive letters, because you have to create them under one of the drive letters. But you can have several mountpoints under one drive letter each having it's own physical disks.

During installation of SQL 2008 R2 we noticed that it's not possible to install directly in the root of a mount point. We had to create a folder first and the place for example the system databases in that folder. But I believe that's more Windows 2008 issue.

Hope this helps.

[font="Verdana"]Markus Bohse[/font]

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply