Using Mirroring with Log shipping

• Can anyone tell me the correct way to configure the log backup destination when using logshipping with mirrroring in sql 2005?

In this microsoft document, http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187016.aspx

the recommendation is:

"To maximize availability of the primary server, we recommend that you establish the backup folder in a shared backup location on a separate host computer. Ensure that all the log shipping servers, including the mirror/primary server, can access the shared backup location (known as a backup share)."

However im not sure how to implement this. I know Microsoft do not recommend backing up using CIFS on unc paths because of delayed write failures however this is the only way I can think of implementing the solution.

any ideas?

• What I'd do is have a dedicated NIC on the SQL Server to handle pushing the backups to the UNC path. This would segregate the Network IO from the other traffic to the SQL Server. I backup to UNC paths everyday, and on a properly configured network it isn't necessarily a problem.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

• Thanks for this advice however I have experienced lost write conditions and a number of corrupt databases when using log shipping with UNC paths. This has only happened once albeit under heavy load but it has still happened and microsoft dont generally recommend it.

• I missed that you said CIFS in conjunction with UNC. The supported way for doing this would be a IPSEC tunnel or point to point VPN between the machines, essentially creating your own private network over the internet between the two machines.

Jonathan Kehayias | Principal Consultant | MCM: SQL Server 2008
    My Blog | Twitter | MVP Profile
    Training | Consulting | Become a SQLskills Insider
    Troubleshooting SQL Server: A Guide for Accidental DBAs[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply