Using EE client tools and MSDE (seperate machines) - Can''t log in

• Not sure if anyone else is running this weird configuration, but I'm using EE tools to develop an instance of MSDE (located on a seperate box), but I can't log into the MSDE server.

I set up a sysadmin password when I installed MSDE.

So how do I log in?  What's the admin username?  sa?

I've tried:

username: sa    password: ******* (my original sa password)

Also tried my net login.  Didn't work.

The error I get is:

"SQL Server does not exist or access denied."

MSDE is running on the other machine, so it has to be access denied.

Any ideas?

• Just a thought:  try installing client tools on the server with MSDE and see if you can get on that way.  If you can then it may be a network/firewall issue.  Perhaps a firewall exists between this server and your workstation and the 1433 default port is blocked. 

If you don't want client tools on this server you can always remove after.  This is just to take away any potential network problems. 

Francis

• Well I tried installing MSDE on my laptop after I installed client tools, and I had an installation error.  But I haven't tried the other way around.

I'll try that today.

• By default, the newer MSDE packages (SP3 and higher, I think.) disable network access to the instance. If I had to guess, it would be that MSDE isn't listening on TCP or Named Pipes, therefore causing the error message. From outside the MSDE box, the instance doesn't appear to exist.

You can verify this by running the Server Network Utility (svrnetcn.exe) which is located (by default, anyway) at C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\svrnetcn.exe.

Give it a try, hopefully it will help you out.

-- J.Kozloski, MCDBA, MCITP

• Found solutions to my problems:

I hadn't specified DISABLENETWORKPROTOCOLS=0, which means protocols are active.  If not specified, protocols are disabled, which means no TCP, as mentioned above.

Second, I couldn't install MSDE on my laptop where EE tools is located because when I uninstalled the trial SQL Serv edition, it failed to delete the SQL folder and the services running, therefore I couldn't install MSDE services.  I was trying to install a default instance where one already existed.

So I cleaned up my laptop, and now have EE Tools and MSDE running no sweat.

Now my problem is, if I'm going to try and make 2gig slices, do I need new instances of MSDE for each 2gig, or just a new database for each 2gig under the same instance?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply